UEFI partition/bios?

danlat1415
danlat1415 Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Hi guys, I wiped my Aspire S7-391 and removed all the partitions from the hard drive and created a new partition and installed Windows 8.1 I had set my bios to Legacy to be able to see the hard drive during the Windows installation. Now when I set the bios back to UEFI, it says there is no boot partition and doesn't load windows. When I set it back to Legacy, Windows loads normally. How do I get my Ultrabook back to using UEFI? I'm fine with wiping the PC and reinstalling Windows, I enjoy getting used to using it. Thanks Dan

Answers

• Charitha
    Charitha Member Posts: 131 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

Hi,

Didn't you create acer recovery disk by using 16GB pendirve. If you have  it , use it to restore to the system into factory default. 

• Charitha

Hi,

To install Windows 8.1 , its no need to change bios setting such as secure boot and legacy . Do the below step.

1) Go to the bios and set it into default .

2) Enable F12 boot menu function.

3) Boot from the Windows 8.1 DVD and continue the process.

It is only allow Windows 8/8.1 and  Recovery medias to boot from respect media. We cannot boot from Windows 7 DVD without changing secure boot option. 

Hope this will help you

All the Best

• danlat1415
    danlat1415 Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Figured out - for Windows installation to see the hard drive under UEFI you need to load raid drivers when installing Windows.

Sorted now. Thanks

• Charitha

Hi Friend,

Thanks for the feed back, Happy to here that solved yor problem.

Thanks & All the best

• jman7678
    jman7678 Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi,

I'm having the same problem, except one more step past it.  I was able to load the drivers during the Windows install.  However, now when trying to select the HDD to install the OS on, it gives me the following error:

'Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu.'

Any ideas?

This discussion has been closed.