acer w510 windows 8.1 problem with the clock

sunnylau
sunnylau Member Posts: 8 New User
Hi , is there anyone have the problem with the clock?
My acer w510 , the time displaybon window is wrong everytime but the BIOS time is correct
Can anyone help pls

Answers

• leplusnul
    leplusnul Member Posts: 3 New User

Same problem Smiley Sad

• moonbaby
    moonbaby Member Posts: 15 New User

same problem

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

The BIOS time is set by the user, the Windows clock by the Internet time. If the minutes are right and hour is rong you just have the wrong time zone.

Right click (long press) on the time in the lower right of the tray. Select "Adjust Date and Time" Make sure the correct time zone is selected.

Then click on "Internet Time" and "Change Settings". Make sure you have an Internet connection and click on "Update Now". You should see a "sucessfully synchronized" message and the correct time should be in the tray.

• sunnylau
    thx padgett

i did it but when i start the computer , the time is wrong again
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

In what way is the time wrong? Is it off by minutes, hours, years?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • sunnylau
    both the hour and minute
  • padgett

Only time I have seen that happen is when there is a problem with the CMOS battery. Is the BIOS time correct or rong also. (Know you mentioned before but need to be sure).

What is the difference between the real time and the system time ? Is it like the clock stopped at the last shutdown ? 

• leplusnul

same problem but I don't know for the bios time. (no keyboard)

the system time is later than the real time

• padgett

With a bad battery, the system clock will usually run slow (read 11:30 at 12:00) is that what is happening ?

• leplusnul

no it runs faster. this morning the date was november 22th after 2 days off.

• sunnylau
    as i turn back to window 8,this problem had not occur
  • billsey

Try this:

net stop w32time

w32tm /unregister

w32tm /register

net start w32time

w32tm /resync

From an elevated command prompt. That should fix it if it's a corrupted Windows Time Service (which does happen occassionally).

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • moonbaby

"net stop w32time

w32tm /unregister

w32tm /register

net start w32time

w32tm /resync"

doesn't work.

• billsey

Did you run the command prompt as administrator?

• moonbaby

yes

• padgett

Where did it fail and with what error ?

If "The Windows Time Service is not started" then open services.msc and see if "Windows Time" service is stopped. If so (and is not needed to maintin time correctly) then what happens if you lect click on the clock in the tray and select "Adjust date and time" - are you set to synchronise with time.windows.com and is synchronization successful ?

• moonbaby

synchronization is successful,but after restart the time is of again.

• Rolf-Acer
    Rolf-Acer Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter

To all posters here, I would love to know if there is a certain procedure I could follow to reproduce this issue. I have a W510 on my desk here, freshly updated to 8.1 and running for a day now (idle though, not actively doing anyting with it). Rebooted a couple of times, but the time is still spot on.

Also, have you checked that the update has not changed your time-zone? For me, it did change the time zone to Dublin (I am in the Netherlands myself) and therefore had to be corrected once after the 8.1 update.

Thanks in advance for your feedback

• phonegunner
    phonegunner Member Posts: 11 New User

My w510 gets turned off every night and turned on again in the morning or email and web surfing while getting the day started. When it is turned on (not sleep mode but actual shutdown and power up) after the overnight shutdown the clock shows the incorrect time.

It is usually just a few hours off but sometimes it is a few days (either ahead or behind) and once I thought it might have even been off by a year or so.

It is annoying and I have checked and re-checked the internet time sync and found it to keep the same time with the server it is on (and that can be either one of the servers in the list provided VIA the choices of the OS) but after changing the server it tends to clear up and set the time correctly. It does not matter which server is left setup / or chosen. The one that it is changed to is the one that works that day.

Ted...

• Rolf-Acer
    Rolf-Acer Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter

Ok, maybe the reason mine has not desynced the time is because I have not done a full overnight shutdown on it.

I will test this toninght and get back to you tomorrow.

This discussion has been closed.