S7-392 Windows 8.1 Clean Install Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)

mjschug
mjschug Member Posts: 2 New User

Hey Everyone,

I did a clean install of Windows 8.1 with our 8.1 Enterprise ISO.  I installed all the drivers available from Acer's support site.  However I noticed that I have an Unknown USB Device listed under Universal Serial Bus controllers in Device Manager.  The device Hardware ID from properties shows USB\DEVICE_DESCRIPTOR_FAILURE.

Anyone else have this issue from a clean install of Windows 8.1?

Answers

• DebDans
    DebDans Member Posts: 6 New User

I sure did my multi USB port was not found and my DVD player through USB. A firm ware update fixed the DVD. The usb multi port adaptor  regesters as unkown but does work. Strange but true

• mjschug
    mjschug Member Posts: 2 New User

Interesting, however i have yet to connect my CP adapter to the laptop since the Clean install of 8.1 - Still haven't figured out extactly what this is...

Thanks.

• SofaRider
    SofaRider Member Posts: 6 New User

Device Manager listing of USB Controllers on my S7-392-9890 upgraded from Win8 Home to Win8.1 Pro

Universal Serial Bus controllers
      Generic USB Hub
      Intel(R) 8 Series USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 - 9C26
      Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 0100 (Microsoft)
      USB Composite Device
      USB Root Hub
      USB Root Hub (xHCI)

• andyliang
    andyliang Member Posts: 1 New User

Also got same problems not gracefully solved, by forcing Win8 to use Intel drivers for Win7:

http://plugable.com/2012/12/01/windows-8-and-intel-usb-3-0-host-controllers

Noticed in Device manager, used "View"  "devices by connections", if a USB 2.0 hub/device was connected to "USB enhanced host controllers" (ie. USB 2.0) would make the "unknown usb device" to work properly.

But in most cases, USB 2.0 devices/hubs would connect under "USB 3.0 extensible host controller" , even if a USB 2.0 device/hub was in fact being connected to a USB 2.0 host controller/hub.

• DebDans
    DebDans Member Posts: 6 New User

Hi Andyliang Thanks for trying to help. But computer said not compatableb with that software. I decided to return the USB hub for another brand, a name brand this time hoping that will work. Belkin will have teck support.

• ThomACE
    ThomACE Member Posts: 12 New User

I'm planning a clean install of 8.1 from my ISO-file on my Acer Aspire V7. This because my batterylife degraded from 5hours of heavy use to 2hours max after the update to 8.1.

How did you do this clean install? 

Does the S7 also have an SSD-cache? Did it work afterwards? Or did you have to install other drivers?
    Did you make a back-up of all your files before the clean install?

This discussion has been closed.