Acer Aspire 5742Z Laptop not turning on or charging?

simplebeans
simplebeans Member Posts: 8 New User

Ok so i think its been about 3-4 years since i have had my Acer Aspire 5742Z Laptop, the other other day whilst logged on to Windows 7 the laptop just swtiched off on me (plenty of charge left on the battery), no warning, no prompts just died. And now it refuses to turn on. Since then i have tried charging it, no response and get no inidicator lights either, have looked on line and tried various cures including taking the battery and wall charger out and holding the power button for 1 minute and then plugging it all back in and trying to turn it back on again, with a few variations. NOTHING WORKS. Smiley Sad The charger seems to be working as per the small green light that lights up on the charging adapter attached to the mains. so whys it not charging, no chargin indicator light on the laptop? Also it doesnt even come on when the battery is pulled and just the mains is plugged in. As i said the Laptop is completly unresponsive, no indicator lights, nothing.

Im absolutly furious at this, i havent even had the laptop for that long, is there anyone here who can offer me any suggestions as to how to fix it or what could be the problem please? Failing this i am going to take it up with Acer. My warrenty has run out but im sure that cant be the end of my rights.

Answers

• simplebeans

Anyone?

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Sounds like a hardware problem. Hope you have good backups.

If not someone with reasonable skills should be able to remove the hard drive and make a backup but a suddent stop like that sounds like a power supply failure.

• simplebeans

When you say power supply failure what do you mean exactly and whats the remedy to resolve and what hardware has failed? This is why i am so annoyed this isnt really a wear and tear issue in my eyes, a laptop that has been really kept well shoudnt fail after 4 years. I know older Laptops from other brands which have lasted 10 + years and there is nothing i have done with it apart use it for it for what it was built for.

• simplebeans

This board is great, are there actual mods/acer employees here that can help or is the lack of response a reflection of Acers business matters?

• ElizabethS
    ElizabethS Member Posts: 845 Practitioner WiFi Icon

This is a peer to peer support forum, and most responses will come from other members with an expertise or interest in your topic.  Acer employees do drop by from time to time, but there is no guarantee that they will read every post or thread, as they do this on their own time.

• simplebeans

ElizabethS wrote:

This is a peer to peer support forum, and most responses will come from other members with an expertise or interest in your topic.  Acer employees do drop by from time to time, but there is no guarantee that they will read every post or thread, as they do this on their own time.

Right so apart from telling me the techincalities of the forum (not sure hows thats helped me??) and the fact that even though Acer seem to host the forum, its run by a bunch of non employed mods, very odd..., Do you or anyone else plan on helping me or maybe someone should explain what this forums all about then as it doesnt seem to function as it should. What happens to topics you cannot cure they just get pushed into the abyss of the rest of the array of topics. Acer the company need's to be careful with a forum like this because if the wrong mods are running things it could cast a bad light onto their company from geniune people who need help that have Acer products (yes i have more then one).

• Vince53
    Vince53 Member Posts: 805 Practitioner WiFi Icon

Welcome aboard, Simplebeans. Let me see if I can help.

There are several causes of your problem, so there are many possible explanations. It is possible that two things are wrong, and this complicates the issue.

My first thought is that both your power cord and battery have failed. If you receive no blinking lights when you start up, you're not getting power.

The first advice you received on this thread was to take it to a computer shop, and that is the best possible advice. You've already tried all the correct software solutions, and none of them work, so it is probably a hardware problem.

• simplebeans

Vince53 wrote:

Welcome aboard, Simplebeans. Let me see if I can help.

There are several causes of your problem, so there are many possible explanations. It is possible that two things are wrong, and this complicates the issue.

My first thought is that both your power cord and battery have failed. If you receive no blinking lights when you start up, you're not getting power.

The first advice you received on this thread was to take it to a computer shop, and that is the best possible advice. You've already tried all the correct software solutions, and none of them work, so it is probably a hardware problem.

How could they have both failed? Also the little green light on the power adaptor thats attached to the power cable does light up green which makes me think its not the power cable? However it could be the battery but do batteries just die like that as in instantly whilst the laptop is powered on? Bearing in mind i wasnt seeing much reduction in battery time of use before hand. I will take it to a computer shop but if there is something else i can try at home i want to do those things first.

• simplebeans

Vince???

• Vince53

I'm here. What did the computer shop tell you?

• simplebeans

Vince53 wrote:

I'm here. What did the computer shop tell you?

I asked you a question Vince please read and reply.

• Vince53

Two things can fail at once because one failure is straining the rest of the system. You might actually have working hardware in your machine that is failing and causing other problems.  Years, ago, the power supply on my Dell desktop computer caused two other parts to fail before the power supply itself stopped functioning.

Yes, a battery can die suddenly. It can have an internal leak.

This discussion has been closed.