nitro 5 AN517-51-530N M.2 SSD does not show in storage management.

IgorTanko
IgorTanko Member Posts: 4 New User
edited May 2023 in Nitro Gaming

After blue recovery screen my nitro 5 AN517-51-530N recovered, but 1 extra SSD memory gone, not visible. I contacted Crucial support, they recommended restart laptop and enter BIOS for 15 minutes, then restart again. It didn't helped. I send SSD memory under warranty and bought new. PCIe 3.0x4 MSI 500GB, but after installation it is also not visible in Storage Management. How this can be fixed. I don't have recovery point to return back. And really don't want to do factory reset as afraid of losing files. I change memory slots, no results. Any suggestions please?

[Edited the thread to add model name and issue detail]

Best Answer

• IgorTanko
    Answer ✓

@StevenGen thanks for correcting, memory in my understanding not RAM, but SSD. Correct term would be Storage space. According to PCIe3x2 speeds, I bought what is available on the market and brand new with warranty. I not going to sell Laptop, because it's reading/writing speed is lower, then available M.2 SSD with cost £30. If SSD do maximum of my laptop capability, I more then happy customers.

For some reason, there no suggestion from manufacture MSI M.2 SSD apart from physical installation. That's why all additional steps can be confusing. Currently I don't have latest Nvidia driver, but SSD M.2 memory, thanks to suggestions from chat, worked. Would be helpful to add all steps and troubleshoot in manuals.

Thanks for reply, I would read links and learn something new. Response in the chat very quick and informative.

Thank you all!

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 7,529 Pathfinder

I don't know what SSD you bought, you stated Crucial and MSI: your laptop has 2 x NVMe M.2 compatible PCIe sockets so there should not be any BIOS issues. What SSDs do you have actually installed, and which one is your boot drive? Do you have a 2.5" SATA HDD? Are you on Windows10?

• eGomes
    eGomes Member Posts: 2,618 Guru
    edited May 2023

Hi,

Did you try perform a full shutdown in Windows!?

• IgorTanko

Hi,

Yes, I did shut down. Didn't help.

Main PCIe is kingston with Windows on it. Working perfectly in both slots. Crucial stopped working and new MSI not working. Yes, SATA 2nd hard drive for files. Windows 10 on Kingston PCIe.

• eGomes
    edited May 2023

What is the exact model of this MSI M.2 SSD drive, which you recently purchased?

Have you tried to test it on another PC and check if it is working properly?

Also make sure there are no firmware updates available for this M.2 SSD on the MSI website.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,696 Trailblazer

Hey "IgorTanko" there is NO such thing as an SSD Memory for the AN517-51 laptop😁 I sugest that you first install the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant and make sure that you have all the latest Intel Win-10 installed on your laptop and also all Windows Updates and all NVidia update before you upgrade to the new M.2 drive.

Be aware that the Nitro AN517-51 M.2 SSD drive main boot interface is PCIe3x2 speeds, that has a max speed of 1600MB/s read and 1000MB/s write speeds and fitting a PCIe3x4 M.2 drive your laptop boot drive port will never ever utilize its max read 3600MB/s and write speed of 3600MB/s, as the AN517-51s SSD#2 slot has an even slower read/write speeds than 1600MB/s and 1000MB/s of the PCIe3x2, so be aware of that.

Also, did you mean that you have a Crucial PCIe3x4 M.2 SSD drive? As your explanation is confusing? Be clearer with your question, are you talking about Crucial RAM or Crucial M.2 SSD PCIe 3x4? As and also buying a new PCIe 3.0x4 MSI 500GB, and after installation it is also not visible in Storage Management is because of you not setting your laptop up properly, by formatting and animalizing and making the new drive being recognized by the Win-10 OS. See the link below as that explains all about M.2 SSD new drives and how to make them work in Win-10. If you want a correct answer give us more details.

Note: my suggestion to you is to go to this guide "M.2 Not Recognized? See How to Make Your M.2 SSD Show Up in Windowsas it explains how to fix all M.2 SSD issues.

• IgorTanko

eGomes, I tried Shut Down again and luckily it worked. Now Disk is visible. Basically, full shut down work. Only I don't know how different it from regular shut down, but I can see memory now and now I wounder is it my previous Crucial memory was faulty or just needed full shutdown. I did before regular shutdown and restart multiply times.

Thanks for all replies , problem solved.

• IgorTanko
    Answer ✓

@StevenGen thanks for correcting, memory in my understanding not RAM, but SSD. Correct term would be Storage space. According to PCIe3x2 speeds, I bought what is available on the market and brand new with warranty. I not going to sell Laptop, because it's reading/writing speed is lower, then available M.2 SSD with cost £30. If SSD do maximum of my laptop capability, I more then happy customers.

For some reason, there no suggestion from manufacture MSI M.2 SSD apart from physical installation. That's why all additional steps can be confusing. Currently I don't have latest Nvidia driver, but SSD M.2 memory, thanks to suggestions from chat, worked. Would be helpful to add all steps and troubleshoot in manuals.

Thanks for reply, I would read links and learn something new. Response in the chat very quick and informative.

Thank you all!

• eGomes

Hi @IgorTanko,

Glad it worked for you! 😊

In the link below, you can find an explanation about the differences between Fast Startup vs Could boot:

https://www.elevenforum.com/t/turn-on-or-off-fast-startup-in-windows-11.1212/