Acer aspire a315-51-31RD Black Screen after bios settings change

Ayonm
Ayonm Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited May 2023 in Aspire Laptops

after changing bios settings, my laptop displays nothing, it doesn't doesnecen display to an external display, I removed the CMOS and left it for hours and it still doesn't doesn work, help. I have a Acer acer aspire a315-51-31RD

[Edited the thread to add model name]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 7,524 Pathfinder

If your Power/charging LED comes on when you plug in the power adapter you may be able to get it to boot again with the Power Drain method: disconnect the battery, press the Power Button 2 minutes (don't toggle), remove the DDR4 module(s) and put them back in, don't yet reconnect the battery but plug in the adapter to see if you can boot.

If no LED lights show when plugging in the adapter or/and Power Drain does not work you laptop is "bricked".

2 Options; you can try to Flash BIOS with a USB stick or bring the laptop to Acer Services in your country to reprogram the EEPROM and check the hardware.

https://ccm.net/computing/hardware/1849-flashing-the-bios-for-an-acer-aspire/

• Ayonm

Tinkerer

I cant take the ram sticks out due to a stripped screw at the hardware laptop case cover part, I have tried disconnecting the battery and then putting the cmos in and trying to power on without the battery, still nothing, I cant visit a acer center due to my warranty being finished.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,687 Trailblazer

These are all the back cover screws that your A315-51 has

Back cover Screws

If you can't take a 1x back cover screw out you need to force that screw open, as not having 1x screw will not make a difference to the back cover being securely fixed to the laptop.

You need to have access to the internals of your laptop, as you need to disconnect and take the main battery out and then take the button RTC/BIOS battery out also and after taking the RTC/BIOS battery out, you need to get either a pair of metal tweezers or a paper clip and short the +&- pins of this battery base pins, as this will reset the CMOS also, after take the ram module out also,, leave all components disconnected for about 15min and then reconnect all and reboot the laptop, this should reset the IO and BIOS chips and will reboot the laptop.

If it doesn't work and your laptop still has a black screen, it could be a faulty and a problem in the primary power stage of your laptop, where there is a shorted capacitor or mosat that is causing the problem, and these sorts of problems you can't fix and you need to take your laptop to an experienced technician that has the tools to diagnose your laptop and fix the black screen booting problems.

Just for your information, this is the A315-51 laptops motherboard jumper and connectors details:

Mainboard Bottom

Mainboard Top

• Ayonm

Tinkerer

The stripped screw is connected to the mother board, forcing it open would damage the motherboard.

• Puraw
    edited May 2023

Yes, never force screws out of the back of a laptop as some of the brass thread inserts fixed under the MOBO may come loose and will break the IC when insert is pulled through the small hole in the MOBO.

Better get a Screw extractor in a DIY shop.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screw_extractor

or left-handed bit in a small drill operated in reverse mode.

• Ayonm

Tinkerer

took ram battery and CMOS cmobattery out, what do I do

• Puraw
    edited May 2023

Disconnect the main battery cable from the motherboard, press the Power Button 2 minutes (don't toggle), remove the DDR4 module(s) and put them back in, don't yet reconnect the main battery, close the back cover (without the screws) plug in the adapter and try to power up the laptop (without the battery).

Type @Puraw at the top (pick from the list) or click on Quote at the bottom of this comment otherwise I won't get an alert.

• What settings did you change in the bios? Changing the bios (if the bios has not been modified to show advanced options) is unlikely to corrupt the bios.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Ayonm

Tinkerer

I did use the advanced options, what could have caused the issue could be accidentally turning off the graphics.

• Ayonm

Tinkerer

@Puraw Didnt work.

• Puraw

2 Options; you can try to Flash BIOS with a USB stick or bring the laptop to Acer Services in your country to reprogram the EEPROM and check the hardware. I recommend the latter.