My new under warranty Windows 11 ACER Aspire 5 AMD RYZEN 5000 Series laptop randomly crashes.

LK2023
LK2023 Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

Regardless what I'm doing or when I'm doing anything, the device automatically, without warning, goes black, and then restarts on its own. I lose everything I was working on.

This happens sometimes 2-3 times in a day, sometimes no crashes for 2-3 days. I already reinstalled Windows, and I already reset the computer. Drivers are all up-to-date. Tried a lot have advice from online and from my own support, but nothing seems to correct this ongoing and frustrating issue. The device is only 4 months old and have had this problem since week 1.
Does anyone have similar experiences? Any ideas? Any info. would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Best Answer

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,203 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Return the laptop to your retailer and ask for a new laptop, alternatively bring/send the laptop to Acer Services in your country to reinstall everything to factory settings. You should not have to RESET or Clean install Windows11 on a laptop that came with Windows11 installed.

• LK2023

Tinkerer

Thank you! 🙂 Will bring to ACER Repair Service as the laptop (if anyone is wondering: Windows 11 Home 22H2 version; Model Aspire A515-45) was bought about 4 months ago. Problem since the beginning. Never brought back to store as I was getting ACER support through AnswersBy (paid support for my other out-of-warranty devices and this warranty device). AnswersBY thought it may have been a software problem. With the random crashes, I needed a couple weeks to test and see the results every time I tried something (re-install Windows, reset device, update BIOS, update Drivers, etc... It's been a long and unnecessary process for a new computer. Next time if I buy a device with issues, I'll just return to the store to save all this hassle.

I hope they can fix the issue as I never experienced this kind of problem with any of my other computers over the years, including my other ACER laptop (5 years old, Windows 10, Intel Core i3 processor - no issues). I'm bit skeptical they can fix from reading some other people's experiences, and the device randomly shuts down and restarts automatically. 😕 It will take a bit of patience from them to diagnose the problem if they are serious about repairing.

And, I read that people are having issues with the AMD RYZEN 5000 Series 7 processor after the latest updates.

I will keep this conversation posted on the findings.

• LK2023

Tinkerer

I am not sure it will be fixed. I sent the defective "new under warranty Windows 11 ACER Aspire 5 AMD RYZEN 5000 Series laptop that randomly crashes" to the repair center. After less than 2 days, they only re-installed Windows 11 and checked different "parts" and found nothing wrong.

I haven't received my laptop back yet, but I am sceptical they didn't do a thorough check. I already reinstalled Windows 11, and I already RESET my device during the 3.5 months I have had this computer. And, it still crashes. I regret not returning it to the store since I have problems since week 1.

I'll see when I get the computer back, but I am pessimistic as they seemed to have rushed the check up. and they found "nothing wrong". So why does it crash and restart automatically in front of me, or when I come back from lunch to find all my apps gone as it crashed and restarted on its own showing only my desktop and no apps that were previously opened? It is random, and doesn't matter what I am doing on the device. It happens anytime, sometimes an hour after turning on, sometimes after severla hours, sometimes after 2 or 3 days. Can not trust it!

It's a frustrating experience that has wasted A LOT of my time. I don't trust ACER. I hope I'm wrong when I get the computer back and test again myself, but I have a bad feeling about this.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,916 Trailblazer
    edited May 2023

Just to give you some constructive advice, as this exact thing happened to my brand-new Nitro 5 AN515-56 when I got it, and the reason for the premature restarts like you are experiencing was because I had an old Zalman laptop cooler that has a USB hub that I connected to the new laptop, and the USB ports of the Zalman hub, was shortening the laptop out and making it restart. So if you have any old USB hub or any peripherals connected to your laptop, that is the main cause of the laptop restarting, this is what happened to me and when I disconnected this old Zalam laptop cooler and its2.0 USB hub the laptop never ever restarted again, btw I have a new 3.0 USB gaming mouse connected to the laptop, and that USB does not make the laptop restart, as the laptop works perfectly to this day with 3.0, USB-C peripherals, and that is 16 months later😁good luck and hope my advice has helped you out as new laptops should never ever restart for no reason, unless the laptops motherboard was defective and has its main power stage that is faulty, that causes this restart fault, as what Acer techs will do, is they will replace the Aspire 5s motherboard with a new one.

• LK2023

Tinkerer

Thanks for the comment and suggestion. I do appreciate the feedback.

I have two problems: a defective laptop and poor support from ACER.

Regarding my defective laptop, anything I use (apps and hardware connected) with this laptop I also use with my other laptops. My other laptops have ZERO issues. Only this new, defective laptop has issues from week 1.

ACER has "repaired" my laptop and closed the case. It seemsed to be a rush "repair". I should be getting my defective laptop back soon. The problem is I don't believe they made any genuine effort to repair thei product as they said they found "nothing wrong". They only re-installed Windows 11 and worked on some "parts" (no details provided). Poor effort from my point of view. There is no mention of any hardware replaced. I truly believe it is a bad motherboard, but I am no expert. I don't believe ACER support/repair staff are much of experts either from my experience. It makes me think twice before buying any more ACER products in the future!

I am going to have to fight tooth and nail with ACER on this issue. Customers shouldn't have to go through this. It's not good business.

• LK2023

Tinkerer

Not happy with ACER. If you read the previous comments to this topic, I sent my laptop to the authorized ACER repair centre. They tried to get me to pay for the shipping, but I refused. It's their defective product.

They kept it for less then 2 days. I had a feeling that nothing much would be done, and I would still have the same issue. They said there was nothing wrong! The only thing they did was reinstall Windows 11. That's it! Upon receiving the computer back, I tested for one week without adding any apps. Just Windows 11, MS Edge. No crashes. Then a second week I added all my apps with the help of AnswersBy by reintalling all my apps from authorized websites and tested again for another week. No crashes. Then, 2 days into the 3rd week, it CRASHED!!! The screen goes black, and the device restarts automatically. I lose everything I was working on because there was no warning of the crash.

Now, I need to deal with Level 2 support with ACER, and deal with the "there's nothing wrong with the device" experts.

Question: How much time and money is ACER willing to spend to find and finally fix this defective device? I will certainly not be putting up with this issue much longer. In the end I willprobably demand they either replace the defective deveice with one thata ctually works, or give me money money back. Stay tuned!

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,916 Trailblazer

What is the exact Aspire 5 model number, as you said that the laptop worked and its only when you install your apps that it crashes, maybe its your apps that are not compatible with Win-11 and is causing the laptop to crash. Look, I’ve got an Aspire 5 that I’ve had for 6 months and also a Nitro 5 that I’ve been using for the last 16 months virtually daily and for over 8 hours per day every day on Win-11 and never had major crashes like you are experiencing. Give us more details and try to update Win-11, update bios, and update AMD drivers as all this contributes to your laptop performing correctly and properly. Acer make a quality product and they have gone out of their way to fix your product, but it seems that you must be using incompatible software that is contributing to your laptop crashing.

• LK2023

Tinkerer

ACER Aspire 5; AMD RADEON RYZEN 5000 Series 7; model # A515-45-R209

Windows 11 already reinstalled, drivers and BIOS already updated, devcie already rest prior to sending to ACER repair centre.
    Use a second, older monitor using HDMI. Use USB sticks for backup. Use headset for video conferencing.
    Apps used, other than what came with computer (Windows 11, MS Edge): Google Chrome, iTunes, Apache Open Office, Adobe Acrobat, Skype, Zoom, MS Teams, Bitdefender Total Security, Bitdefender VPN.

Use same websites for years and with my other older devices with no issues.

All devices and apps above used for my other, older computers with no issues.

Computer with issue was at ACER Repair Centre. They only reinstalled Windows as the ran the computer for about 24 hours, and they said they couldn't find the issue. They didn't check for any hardware issues (i.e. drivers, motherboard)

• eGomes
    eGomes Member Posts: 2,864 Guru

Hi @LK2023,

The Aspire A515-45(G) series have a firmware issue with outdated AMD/AGESA code. Unfortunately, irresponsibly and with total disregard, Acer omits itself and does not provide new BIOS updates with these improvements and corrections. More details here:

• LK2023

Tinkerer

Thanks a lot! I read on some South American boards online people with this computer having AMD processor issues with crashes like me, but I didn't realize it could be a firmware issue. It is worth investigating, and if the problem, would make sense for my issue.🙂

• eGomes

So much so that it is a strong indication of an AMD/AGESA issue, as one of the recommendations is to try to disable these bellow options in the BIOS setup:

AMD-SVM
    AMD-IOMMU

Regards! 😉

• LK2023

Tinkerer

ACER level 2 support technician said, from his own personal experience as a computer technician, it may be a faulty USB drive - lose; wire connection (when crashing black screen, auto restart, lose all opened apps and data). He said screen turning BLACK (not blue) and auto-restarting is a possible symptom Have to send again to ACER Repair Center again for escalated repair with more troubleshooting, check USB drives, recommendations to disable thes options in the BIOS setup: AMD-SVM, AMD-IOMMU, possible firmware issue regardless of BIOS update and anything else.

Thanks for all the comments. I will keep you all updated on the outcome.

• eGomes

You can use BlueScreenView and Reliability Monitor tools to examine possible errors you are experiencing. Press Win + R (Run) keys, type: perfmon /rel <press Enter>.

• Hello! I remember that there was a user in the Portuguese community, who solved this problem by disabling the audio driver in the device manager:

Check if it solves the problem.

Also try updating the bios to the latest version:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • LK2023

Tinkerer

First of all, thanks for your feedback. I have been having this issue since week 1 when I bought it. This issue is a head-scratcher as I never has an issue like this for my computers through 30+ years of using my own computers. And, nobody seems to know what the problem is, other than it crashing and auto-restarting many times in front of my face, other times when returning to use my computer only to find it crashed, auto-restarted and all my apps were logged out and data I was working on lost.

Second, ACER hasn't gone out of their way to fix. They haven't fixed the product. If you read all the previous comments for this issue, you'll realize that before sending to ACER for repair, Windows was already reinstalled, the drivers were all updated, the BIOS was also updated and the device was already reset. For a new computer, these shouldn't have to be done. I use paid support using AnswersBy, so they help me with all my non-hardware issues.

Third, as for apps I use, I use the same apps with this device as I use with my other 2 older devices, which these 2 devices have no issues. The apps I use: Skype, Apache Open Office, Adobe Acrobate, iTunes, Zoom, MS Teams, Bitdefender (total security and VPN), MS Edge and Google Chrome. These apps were installed from original source (with the help of support from AnswersBy. I use these apps with my other devices with zero issues. Also, I have this device, as well my other devices, maintained and checked for security, virus, malware issues, etc… every month through my paid support with AnswersBy.

Fourth, I use a second monitor connected through HDMI. I also use the same 2nd monitor with my other devices with no issues (when not using the device with the issue).

Fifth, when at the ACER Repair Centre, they only reinstalled Windows 11. They did not check for any hardware problems (i.e. drives, motherboard). They only ran the computer on a rack for 24 hours and found nothing during that period and sent it back to me the next day. It was a lacklustre effort on ACER's part. Keep in mind, my crashes are random, so they happen out of the blue without any warning regardless what I am working on. It could happen anytime, a couple of hours after turning on, or a few days later. You have to be using the device, sitting in front of it hours a day for a few days. I tested for 2 weeks after at the ACER repair centre, but I wasn't personally using it all day as I just had week 1 MS Edge & Windows 11 running for 12 hours a day on its own, and week 2 installed my apps with the apps running for 12 hours a day on its own. I wasn't sitting in front of the device for the two weeks of testing as I was using my other older devices for work. I didn't (and still don't) trust this device during testing, so I was using my other older devices that I trust.

Sixth, the exact device model is A515-45-R209. It is an ACER Aspire 5 using the processor AMD (RADEON) RYZEN 5000 Series. I have read many users online with this type of processor having issues with this particular processor. My other 2 older devices use Intel processor, and I have no issues.

Last, when Windows is reinstalled, it'll work for a couple weeks. Then it starts to crash again. Once crashing, it is random in terms of frequency and occurence (sometimes a couple of hours later, sometimes once in a day, sometimes after 12 hours of use, sometimes 3 times in a day, sometimes no crashes until about 3 days later. But once the random crashes start, it continues regardless what I or AnswersBy support does. Everything, other than hardware check, has been done. My AnswersBy support believes the issue is hardware. And, like I mentioned above, I do and use the same apps and websites for years. My other devices use the same apps and websites with zero issues.

As I wrote above, I shouldn't have to go through all this trouble with a brand new (not refurbished) computer using Windows 11. It is defective and ACER needs to own up to this. Defects happen.

• eGomes
    edited June 2023

Nostalgia for the time when Acer had the Acer Europe Team and your FTP server. At least back then, there were BIOS updates (including beta versions) and new drivers.

Those guys were good!

• LK2023

Tinkerer

I think it is like many things in life, in the past most things were built better, built to last. Today, with all this complicated technology that is being sold to make experiences better, the actual products these days are noted for their hiccups. This is across many industries, not just the computer industry. Throw in lacklustre and lazy support ( I call them customer disservice) that clients need to fight tooth and nail to be taken seriously, it is frustrating. And, with today's latest tech products, when a product doesn't work, we usually replace it rather than jump through all the hoops to find out what is actually causing the misery.

• LK2023

Tinkerer

UPDATE!!! My Windows 11 ACER Aspire 5 AMD RYZEN 5000 Series laptop randomly crashes.
    I had the same ACER laptop at the ACER Repair Center for a second time. The first time, they only has the computer for 24 hours and only reinstalled Windows 11, which was a waste as I already reinstalled before. The second time the repair center had the computer for almost 2 weeks, and they did the following: replaced motherboard (mainboard), powered up the system (OK), updated the SN, ran stress test (passed), played videos to stress out system to duplicate issue (none), updated Windows, updated BIOS, checked and tested all components (OK) and replaced heat sink.
    Keep in mind this processor is AMD, and the only other time I ever owned a computer with an AMD processor I had problems. No problems with my other computers with Intel processors. So, I'll never, ever buy another product with an AMD processor!

Anyways, for the second repair they could not find the problem, just like the first time. Random, black screen crashes with auto-restart are difficult to diagnose. I had the computer for 5 days running it 10-12 hours a day. On day #5 IT CRASHED AGAIN!!! It doesn't matter what I am doing, when I am using it or how long the computer is running. I had all three USB drives in use, I was watching a Fox News video for about 30 seconds when the computer crashed right in front of my face. Once again, all programs/apps, external devices (USB sticks, 2nd minitor, use of 2 USB drives all time, use of 3rd USB drive for back ups), websites, etc… used for this computer are all the same as with my other computers. No problems with the other computers. AND, when my computer crashed, it was running only on battery power (not plugged in).
    I am going to call ACER in the next couple of days, speak again to Level 2 support (Texas HQ) and demand my money back. It's about time to end this soap opera. I'm not disappointed with ACER as I have another ACER computer (Intel) with zero issues, but I feel ACER's support do not know what the problem is, never heard of this problem before and they are just going through the motions of reinstalling Windows, testing and replacing parts hoping that something will fix the problem. What else is there to do? Change the drivers (I thought they would change according to my previous communication with support), change the graphics card, change the RAM? Enough is enough. Give me my money back, and they can risk reselling this computer as refurbished if they want.