Acer Aspire 5 A515-57-59VS Sizzling noise from the laptop

fewitz
fewitz Member Posts: 24 Networker
edited May 2023 in Aspire Laptops

Hi,
I just ran a CrystalDiskMark test. During the test I heard a 'high-pitched noise' coming from the laptop, this noise lasted for the first 1-2 minutes of the test and then stopped. Also, when I use the laptop normally, when I put my ear to the keyboard, there is an intermittent sizzling sound. I have only used the laptop for 2-3 days, is this normal?

Dell's website says: "Some portable systems equipped with Solid State Drives (SSD) emit an audible squeal when the system is idle or under light use. This is normal behaviour.

Acer's customer support said that this audible noise was "coil whine" and not a hardware problem.

When I repeat the CrystalDiskMark test, I hear the same sound again.

Acer Aspire 5 A515-57-59VS, core i5-1235U, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD

[Edited the thread to add model name]

Answers

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder

Is it high pitched squeal, or more like an electrical buzz when you have the adapter a bit loose on electronics? If high pitched and coming and going when the laptop is under load it most likely is coil whine :) totally harmless (if not a tad annoying aha)

• fewitz

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/YMw70_J3dIA , that's exactly what it sounds like. And why is the high-pitched sound coming during the test?

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder

Its as current travels though the capacitors. The resistance of the part makes it make an audible hum, just a side effect of modern electronics!

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 7,524 Pathfinder
    edited May 2023

It could be the two fans both running at maximum speed, that will be audible 😉

• fewitz

@Puraw

Although this buzzing can be heard even during sleep mode.

The noise is not annoying, but sometimes the intensity of the sound increases, I only experienced this 2 times.

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 7,524 Pathfinder

Fans can continue to run (for a while) even after shutting down to cool the CPU. Contact the retailer and ask them about it.

• fewitz

I'd like to think so, but I also hear it when the computer is sleep mood.

• fewitz

Although this buzzing can be heard even during sleep mode.

The noise is not annoying, but sometimes the intensity of the sound increases, I only experienced this 2 times.

• Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • fewitz

I put my microphone right underneath it and did a recording of the sound.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/3htsgky7nxu61f2/2023_05_27-04.38.m4a/file .m4a

@egydiocoelho

• fewitz

By the way, when I talk to ACER customer service in my country, they say that every problem I report is normal, that this problem exists in this series.

I don't think they're competent.

• Have you checked the fans yet? It could be coil noise as well.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • fewitz

I could not go to the Acer service as it is 490 km away from where I live. There was a Lenovo service near me, I listened to the audio, and they said the best thing I could do in this situation would be a return or exchange. As the screen was also leaking light, I reported both problems to Amazon. After checking, they said it would be a one-to-one exchange. I hope the new product does not have the same issue, people are complaining a lot about this product in the comments.

Lenovo's service called this issue “coil crying(?)”. He also said that the fan was rubbing somewhere when it was running. @egydiocoelho

• KaiserBlaze
    KaiserBlaze Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited June 2023

It's understandable that you're concerned about the unusual noise coming from your laptop during the CrystalDiskMark test and during normal use. The high-pitched noise you heard at the beginning of the test could potentially be related to the workload put on the components, including the SSD. However, it's worth noting that excessive or persistent noise could indicate a potential hardware issue that may require further investigation. It seems that both Dell and Acer have acknowledged that some laptops may emit audible sounds during idle or light use.
    https://www.roofersofarlington.com/