Acer Aspire 7 A715-74G-73QX constantly drops internet connection over wifi.

sloot
sloot Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

My brand new laptop, just barely over a month old constantly loses its internet connection without dropping the actual wifi signal itself. I figured it was the original wifi card because so many people have complained about it having issues. So I replaced it and it persists. It doesn't happen to a dell laptop, it doesn't happen a desktop pc, it doesnt happen over ethernet, it doesn't happen to my phone or any other internet connected device, just my laptop. As such, it is completely useless for any kind of game or service that requires a constant connection. Because it will drop constantly, over and over again, with no constant factors, it is completely random and incredibly frustrating. Reinstalled drivers, rolled them back, unchecked the turn off to save power option. My connection has always been perfectly high quality so I know that isn't the issue either. Router has been checked and rechecked.

Now I have a killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 installed as opposed to the stock card, the qca61xa. Obviously that didn't fix it, so why is this happening, what can I do? 

Answers

• Tom2019
    Tom2019 Member Posts: 227 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Hi @sloot
    1. Go to "Control Panel".

2. Next go to "Network and Internet" and then "Network and Sharing".

3. Now click on "Manage Wireless Networks".

4. On this screen, remove all wireless connections by "right clicking" on it and select "Remove network" from the drop down menu.

5. After doing this, close the open windows and reboot the computer.

6. Once the computer is fully reloaded, scan for the "WiFi networks".

7. Click on the available network that you want to access and select "connect".

8. It takes a moment, but then you will be asked to give a password for your WiFi connection. Type in the password and click the "connect" button.

Another way to try it is to...

1. Go to "Settings".
    2. Click on "Network & Security" and then click on "WiFi".
    3. Now click "Manage known networks".
    4. Select the WiFi connection you want to remove.
    5. Click the "Forget" button.
    6. After doing this, close the open windows and reboot the computer.
    7. Once the computer is fully reloaded again go to "Settings".
    8. Click on "Network & Security" and then click on "WiFi".
    9. Now click "Manage known networks".
    10. Click "Add a new network" and enter the network name.
    11. Using the drop-down menu, select the "network security type".
    12. Check the "Connect automatically" option.
    13. Now check the "Connect even if the network is not broadcasting" option and click "Save".

"Hit Accept if its Helpful"
  • sloot

Tinkerer

edited December 2019
    Yeah that's more or less what I do every single time it disconnects, multiple times an hour, often every few minutes. It will drop the internet, but stay connected to the wifi (aka give me the no internet icon) , requiring me to alt-tab out of whatever I'm doing and disconnect and reconnect to the wifi network. This fixes the immediate issue until the exact same thing happens again, requiring the exact same "solution" that does nothing to fix the root issue.
  • sloot

Tinkerer

So installing a new wifi card didn't solve the problem obviously. What probably fixed it was wiping out all the drivers and reinstalling them again. I can't really be sure because the problem came out of nowhere and happened on a totally random basis with no specific action triggering the disconnects. It seems to be fixed but who knows, it may randomly pop up again tomorrow.
  • he02
    he02 Member Posts: 63 Troubleshooter
    sloot, where you bought your acer A715-74G-73QX ?

• sloot

Tinkerer

Off the acer store website when it was on sale.
  • he02
    sloot, how much u paid ?
  • he02
    sloot said:
    Off the acer store website when it was on sale.
    sloot, how much u paid ?
  • he02
    Is it comes with 1x 1tb SSD or 2x 512gb SSD ? thanks
  • he02
    @sloot your killer ax1650 wireless card is working on the a715-74g-73qx ?
  • Day1
    Day1 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I am Either. I found how to correct wifi connection drop many times by clicking control panel > device manager > Network adapter> qualcomm wireless network adapter then right click to select uninstall device. Wait for 5 mins to let computer to find your Network adapter and reset driver itself to return all network setting as normal and problem fixed permanently. The dropping network from Acer is from Window Update to contradict with original driver so after uninstallation and computet reset driver automatically, it is fine
  • Ajr811
    Ajr811 Member Posts: 4 New User

Only Solution is to switch your Mediatek Wifi adapter to 2.4Ghz mode .

I face same issue. reinstalling driver didn't solve the issue, i also had slow download speed

So
    i went to device manager > right click the Wifi adapter >
    properties > Advanced > property of 802.11ac/ac/n > Value
    set to " 802.11n"

then under preferred Band > select prefer 2.4GHZ

Issue solved now.