Nitro 5 AN515-58-75QD Version Bios 2.03 so I confirmed the upgrade to "Windows Update".

chuck33
chuck33 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited April 2023 in Nitro Gaming

Hello everyone, I start by saying that I'm getting help from "Google Translate" and I apologize in advance for my incorrect English.

Notebook: Nitro 5 AN515-58-75QD

Rif. NH.QFLET.002

I'm curious about the bios version that i have installed as an update of "Windows Update": v.2.03 dated 02/24/2023. Before upgrading I went to check the Acer support page and actually the latest version available was the same that "Windows Update" suggested me so I confirmed the upgrade to "Windows Update".

After some time I returned to the support page and the latest bios version available is 1.13. Now: why is bios version 2.03 no longer available for download from the support site?

Waiting for any reply, thank you for your attention.

[Edited the thread  to add  model  name to the  title and  issue detail]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,328 Trailblazer

Please post a phone photo of the BIOS Information tab if possible

Jack E/NJ

• JackE

I seem to recall that v2.03 may have caused some dGPUs to overheat with certain NitroSense performance settings.. If you're not having a problem with overheating, I would leave it alone. You can downgrade to v1.13 if overheating occurs but otherwise not recommended due to the risks involved.

Jack E/NJ

• chuck33
    chuck33 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Thank you again. Given the risks, I prefer to avoid a downgrade and I'll wait, confident and hopeful, for a new release in the near future

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 Ally Posts: 4,044

@chuck33

You can always do a windows update. It is just a software update. Even if you dont like it you can always do a system restore to revert it back.

But Bios update is only for known issues. It is not a software update but it is a firmware update. I dont recommend for bios updates as it is done only by technicians and that too it is only for known issues.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• Rami95
    Rami95 Member Posts: 31 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

Hello, just wanted to say i have the same "issue" like you are having!

also i checked the support page and at its time the vbios update 2.03 was there and after sometime from installing it disappeared from the support page. I don't have issues with the device but wondering what is this manufacture behavior that i haven't experienced with other brands :'D
    my device is Nitro 5 AN517-55-55WA i think we may need to risk and downgrade due to the version gap between 1.13 and 2.03 :/!

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,687 Trailblazer

There is a new bios 2.05 "1. Fix resume from S3 will auto restart issue" dated: 2023/04/28, also update the Firmware if you have the RTX3060 to the Version: 1.04a "Update VBIOS NVVDD EDPc setting change from 90A to 135A Geforce RTX 3060 VBIOS ver: 94.06.36.00.60 or 94.06.36.00.64" dated: 2022/07/29. and make sure that you always update the NVidia driver to the latest NVidia version released, install all Win-11 updates (not the bios updates) as a windows update bios is known to ruin and brick your laptop. And also make sure that you have all the latest Intel graphics and drivers =for Win-11, as doing all this will make your laptop perform to its ultimate performance and reliability.

• StevenGen

Its the same with your AN515-55, never ever upgrade the bios from Windows Update, always upgrade the bios and firmware from Acer Drivers & Manuals site for your laptop the AN515-55. There is a new bios for your laptop the version 2.06 and also install the Firmware version v101a "Update Nvidia discrete VGA VBIOS and improve performance." that's what I've done with my AN515-56 and never ever had or have any problems and my laptop performs perfectly, speedily and never crasher or has BSODs. NOTE: Upgrading your system BIOS incorrectly could harm your Acer product. Please proceed with caution!

Note: Make sure that you always update the NVidia driver to the latest NVidia version release for Win-11, install all Win-11 Windows Updates (not the bios updates) as a windows update bios is known to ruin and brick your laptop) and also make sure that you have all the latest Intel graphics and drivers =for Win-11, as doing all this will make your laptop perform to its ultimate performance and reliability.

• Rami95

hello mate, regarding your comment 1st my device is AN517-55-55WA and not AN515-55!
    are you sure i have a newer bios update release ? because i am checking my device's support page daily and yet the latest are as listed in my screenshot previously and the problem in my case is that i installed the 2.03 from the support page and not from windows update which i believe acer released the 2.03 vbios update to my product by mistake(that's why it wasn't pushed by windows update) and removed it later but somehow it worked otherwise why would it get deleted from the product's page?
    if you have any useful links to check i will be thankful.

• StevenGen

Sorry my mistake, I was looking at the AN515-55 and not the AN517-55 bios, the last bios is the version 1.13 like you have above, but the gpu firmware is the Version: 1.04a and you need to install that. Acer must have found a problem with the bios 2.03 and that is why they took it down, keep to the bios version 1.13

• Rami95

Thanks for the follow up mate,

Do you suggest i go through the risky process or downgrading the bios from 2.03 to 1.13?or shall i wait for their upcoming release?

• Rami95

i tried to install the vbios firmware version 1.04a and now giving me this error

• StevenGen

"NO" don't downgrade the bios, if the 2.03 version works 100%, only downgrade if there are any problems with anything that this 2.03 bios title said that it fixed and its causing problems, as bios downgrades can be dangerous and can brick your laptop and then you will have to reprogram the bios or replace it. Wait for Acer to upgrade the bios of your laptop if they do?

Make sure if you haven't updated the firmware that you do that as that helps the GPU performance, but be careful and follow all the guides of how to update a firmware as you can brick your GPU also if you this wrong. After all this make sure that all Windows Updates are up to date, always keep the GPU to the latest NVidia driver and make sure that the Intel Graphics is always up to date also, as all these factors will make your laptop perform to its best and will not give you any problems.

• StevenGen
    edited May 2023

Do you have the Geforce RTX 3060 GPU? As if you don't then this firmware update is not for your GPU.

• Rami95

my dGPU is Rtx 3050 95w i really don't understand why do i see drivers for other nitro variants in my device's support page? i am not going to downgrade then but for the vbios firmware i don't understand what to do exactly it seems like Acer is having a really terrible product support behavior and systems since after the 2.03 release they left all users who installed it in a very confusing situation.

• tim73
    tim73 Member Posts: 2 New User

I noticed 2.05 BIOS is now available also for 517.

• Rami95

i saw that but it solves an issue i dont have "auto restart from S3" what do u think? shall i update?

• JackE

No. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• tim73
    tim73 Member Posts: 2 New User

I did update, seems to work OK. I think if they actually remove a BIOS update version from the list, one should update to the next one available.