Upgrading CPU in TC-1750 Now I would like to upgrade the 12th Gen

JohnP243
JohnP243 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in Nitro Gaming

I have upgrade to 32gb RAM, 2TB SSD and Nvidia Graphics.

Now I would like to upgrade the 12th Gen i5 to an i7 or preferably an i9.

I know I have a 1700 socket, just hoping its socketed and not soldered.

Also hoping the 300 watt power supply and cpu heat sink can deal with an i9.

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    edited March 2023 Answer ✓

You're probably OK going to an i9-12900K in the AlderLake-S series as shown in this link. The i9 has nearly the same i5 65watt base power usage but can be driven to ~200 watts peak vs the i5's ~120watt peak. The 300 watt PSU and heat sink should handle it if you don't go crazy with trying to overclock it too much. The LGA 1700 pin socket on the mainboard is NOT a soldered ball grid array BGA

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Answer ✓

»»Nvidia Graphics.»>its in use as my home theater pc on my 82" QLED Samsung. Really nice 4k performance.»»

The gpu card should affect this use more than the cpu. What nvidia card is in there now? For example, GTX 730?

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Answer ✓

The dual fan GTX 1660 super is probably a better investment for your purpose and your PSU. The EVGA flavor is probably the best deal right now in dual fan cards, Single fan varieties are cheaper but are prone to overheating if driven too hard.

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Answer ✓

Please report back on results of whatever upgrade path you decide to take. Thanks.

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    edited March 2023 Answer ✓

You're probably OK going to an i9-12900K in the AlderLake-S series as shown in this link. The i9 has nearly the same i5 65watt base power usage but can be driven to ~200 watts peak vs the i5's ~120watt peak. The 300 watt PSU and heat sink should handle it if you don't go crazy with trying to overclock it too much. The LGA 1700 pin socket on the mainboard is NOT a soldered ball grid array BGA

Jack E/NJ

• JohnP243

Thanks very much for your opinion. I don't plan on overclocking, its in use as my home theater pc on my 82" QLED Samsung. Really nice 4k performance. Trying to decide now if it will be the i7 at $289 or i9 at $399. Would appreciate any further advice.

• JackE
    Answer ✓

»»Nvidia Graphics.»>its in use as my home theater pc on my 82" QLED Samsung. Really nice 4k performance.»»

The gpu card should affect this use more than the cpu. What nvidia card is in there now? For example, GTX 730?

Jack E/NJ

• JohnP243

I stuck a GTX 1050 TI in there from my old "upgraded" TC-885

If that upgrade is better for home theater, I would definitely do it.

Any recommendations on that ? I really appreciate your advice.

• JackE
    Answer ✓

The dual fan GTX 1660 super is probably a better investment for your purpose and your PSU. The EVGA flavor is probably the best deal right now in dual fan cards, Single fan varieties are cheaper but are prone to overheating if driven too hard.

Jack E/NJ

• JohnP243

Thanks. Can't wait to check it out.

• JackE
    Answer ✓

Please report back on results of whatever upgrade path you decide to take. Thanks.

Jack E/NJ