Acer swift 3 only works when plugged in It won't turn on

alicbee
alicbee Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in Swift and Spin Series

I have an Acer swift 3 and only had it for under a year. It wont turn on (even though fully charged) and will only work if the charger is plugged in. The charger bar says 100%, but as soon as i unplug it, it drops to 0% and shuts off within a few seconds. I dont charge it excessively (i dont keep the charge in for longer than needed) and never had this issue before. A few day ago it ran on 0% for an hour and the battery slowly went up to 98% even though it wasnt plugged in the whole time. Does anyone know what is wrong? There is a blue light blinking constantly on the right side of the laptop when it has apparently "run out of charge".

Apologies for the long-winded detailed paragraph, just wanted to explain it best i could.

Any responses would be helpful. Thanks.

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,687 Trailblazer

This seems like a faulty battery or charging/power internal circuitry issues within your laptop. The battery could have a fuse and internal circuitries that control the charging/output voltage that could be faulty, as that is when you get symptoms like you are getting or it could be the laptops charging/power stages that are faulty and need an experienced technician to amylase.

Note: if your laptop is under warranty don't do anything and/or open your laptop back cove, get in contact with Acer in your area as this problem is covered under the Acer 12 months warranty.

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 7,528 Pathfinder

Hi @alicbee

Create a Battery report in Windows by typing/pasting the following in a Command Prompt (opened as Administrator):

powercfg /batteryreport /output %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\battery_report.html

Open the file "battery_report.html" on your desktop (double click) and see how the Fully Charged capacity compares to the Designed Capacity over the last 3 days, if this is much lower (>75%) you need a new battery ($45). You can replace the battery yourself.

Even 1 year old batteries can deteriorate if drained to zero charge. If the report is positive (close to the Designed Capacity) bring your laptop to Acer for repairs like suggested by StevenGen.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

We can likely give more targeted help if you let us know just which Swift model you have. There have been literally hundreds of different ones over the years. Your full model number is usually on the same sticker as your serial number, it should look something like SF3xx-xxx-xxxx.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Puraw

Create a Battery report in Windows by typing/pasting the following in a Command Prompt (opened as Administrator):

powercfg /batteryreport /output %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\battery_report.html

Open the file "battery_report.html" on your desktop (double click) and see how the Fully Charged capacity compares to the Designed Capacity over the last 3 days, if this is much lower (>75%) you need a new battery ($45). You can replace the battery yourself.

Even 1 year old batteries can deteriorate if drained to zero charge. If the report is positive (close to the Designed Capacity) bring your laptop to Acer for repairs as suggested by StevenGen.

• billsey

OK, your Swift 3 has a battery reset pinhole on the bottom. Let's try the full reset to see if it's just gotten confused as to it's state.

Shut the laptop off and disconnect everything, including the charger. Use a SIM tool or a bent paperclip to press and hold the reset for 15 seconds. Release the reset and wait for 15 minutes or so, then plug only the power back in. Wait for the battery indication to show blue, then turn it on and see if the issue is fixed.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Puraw
    edited March 2023

Aspire5 a515-54G-70AG Windows11 22H2

My pinhole no longer clicks (switch is lame) so have to disconnect the battery each time😑

• billsey

@Puraw you have an Aspire laptop, not the Swift 3 this thread is about. You should start your own thread for your issue.