Acer Nitro AN515-57 Hardware input lag, HDMI-attached monitor refresh rate issues

doodooman
doodooman Member Posts: 2 New User

I bought an Acer Nitro AN515-57 in Decemeber 2022 and have been experiencing a lot of infuriating issues.

1. There is input lag on hardware that is connected via the USB ports (mouse, xbox and PS4 controllers)
  2. Second monitor attached through HDMI won't exceed 60Hz
    1. I have purchased 2 different HDMI cords thinking that was the issue. It was not
    2. I manually updated the monitor driver to ASUS's that is on their website, that did not fix it.
    3. I have attempted to change the framerate through Windows settings, that does not exceed 60 Hz
    4. The attached monitor is not discoverable in Nvidia Control Panel, despite it being in use when searching for another display.
  3. Overwatch 2 framerate capped at 60 fps through Nvidia GeForce Experience
    1. Rocket League and Call of Duty: MW2 both are able to exceed 60fps
  4. Battery life is horrible, maybe 2 hours max, despite changing power usage in NitroSense and turning on Battery Saver

This is my first gaming laptop (I spilt water in my desktop tower :/ ) so I don't know if these issues are normal or occur often, but they are infuriating. I am debating about returning it and getting another desktop because there are much less issues.

If anybody has any solutions for this, please let me know. I have tried just about everything I can find on the internet with no results and am getting very tired of these issues.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,858 Trailblazer
    edited March 2023

You must have this laptop setup wrongly or there are hardware issues that need to be analysed by Acer, as this laptop is under warranty. This laptop has a HDMI 2.1 version port and a 144Hz and above refresher rate monitor will work, Also, your stated battery life is normal and when you play game, as gaming on these laptops is preferred to be done on the laptop plugged in.

AN515-57 HDMI port specs

Make sure that you have Win-11 up to date and the laptops bios up to its latest version: 1.19 installed also, increase the ram also to at least 16GB but preferably 32GB (2x 16GB modules) of DDR4-3200MHz CL22 type ram and also an upgrade to a faster M.2 PCIe 3 x4 like a WD SN750 black or a Samsung 970 Plus M.2 PCIe 3 x4 drive will improve this laptops performance considerably.

Also, install the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant to have all Intel drivers up to date and install the latest NVidia driver for the RTX3060 (or whatever gpu your AN515-57 has) ONLY from the Nvidia site (don't use other laptops drivers) and also make sure that you use the new drivers Clean Install feature when you install the new driver, as you need to delete any previous drivers that are on your laptop, also set the NVidia Control Panel Program Settings for your games to High-performance NVidia processor, as all this will make your laptop perform at its peak. Try all that as doing all that will improve your laptops performance by at least 100%. Btw, I've got a AN515-56 with similar specs with the i7-11370H - RTX3050 - 32GB ram at 2x 16GB DDR4-32000MHz CL22 and upgraded the boot drive to the 1TB WD SN750 Black M.2 SDD and I have no such problems like you are having and my laptop works great with gaming connected to a 165Hz refresher rate monitor.

• doodooman
    doodooman Member Posts: 2 New User

Steven,

Alright, I will look into these solutions. Currently swamped with school work and cybersecurity comps, but I will update you on how these solutions worked. Thank you for your help!