Acer XV322UX Flashing and reorganizing screens on startup Does anyone know how do I fix this?

Maas90
Maas90 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in Monitors

Hello everyone!
I just bought the Acer XV322UX as a new main monitor and I am now running a 3 monitor setup. It appears this comes with some issues...
Let's begin with me keeping my PC on pretty much at all times, but I like to turn my monitors off when I'm not at home. The issue with the new Acer monitor is that once I turn it on, all my monitors starts flashing and programs that I have opened starts moving around randomly. Eventually things stabilizes but whatever programs I previously had opened on my Acer monitor has been moved to other monitors. On top of that, my taskbar and all desktop icons are moved to the Acer monitor. Does anyone know how do I fix this? I don't want the monitor to interfere with my PC in this way... All help is appreciated, thank you!

*I have uninstalled all inactive monitors in the device manager.
*I have made a fresh installation of my nvidia graphics driver.
*I have tried changing which monitor is the primary one.
*I have tried swapping around displayports both ways, there are no faulty cables or faulty ports in my graphics card.
*I have tried changing hertz from 240 to 60.
*I have tried messing around with different monitorsettings but no...
*It doesn't matter which monitor i start first, my other 2 monitors causes no problems.
I have probably tried a bunch of other things that I can't think of right now, any other suggestions are much welcome.

This is an example of the shenanigans that's going on when I start up my new main monitor. Somehow my desktop icons have stopped moving themselves but running programs aswell as the taskbar has not, as you can see in the video.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title and to add issue detail]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,432 Trailblazer

The issue with the new Acer monitor is that once I turn it on, all my
    monitors starts flashing and programs that I have opened starts moving
    around randomly.

Try turning on the Acer monitor first. Wait a few moments. Then turn on the other monitors.

Jack E/NJ

• Maas90

Tinkerer

It changes nothing, whatever windows was opened on the Acer monitors has been moved to one of the other 2 monitors and the task bar has now appeared on the Acer monitor. Now I've also made a clean DDU (display driver uninstaller) and it made no difference.

• JackE

Are you using Win11 or Win10?

Jack E/NJ

• Maas90

Tinkerer

edited March 2023

I'm glad that you mentioned it. I am using Windows 10 and finally managed to find some information relating to my problem. Apparently this option is only available on Windows 11 so I suppose I will have to upgrade. Knowing me this will be clean reformat/install, luckily I have no singleplayer game progress or anything currently but still frustrating. Thank you

edit: https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/common-multi-monitor-problems-and-how-to-fix-them/

This is the link that I found if interested ^

• JackE

I've also made a clean DDU (display driver uninstaller) and it made no difference.»»This is the link that I found if interested ^

Not sure if Win11 will do the trick? Maybe? Did you re-install the ACER OEM Win10 driver and use the Widget app for possible fixes? Or did you let Win10 automatically re-detect and automatically install what it thinks the driver should be?

Jack E/NJ

• Maas90

Tinkerer

Unfortunately Win11 did NOT do the trick! I still have the same old issues. In fact it messed up a whole lot of other things for me such as the taskbar being stuck to my primary monitor, that is however irrelevant to this topic and I'm sure there are 3rd party workarounds for it. Now I don't know if enabling TPM 2.0 in my BIOS or installing Win11 caused this but I now have horizontal stripes/flickering on the monitor after a computer restart. It also turns black (or off?) for a second~ every now and then. The only way to fix it is to restart the monitor. Oh boy what a headache this is…

I have not installed any monitor drivers other than the latest nvidia graphics drivers. As far as I can read, what you linked only includes colorschemes?

• Maas90

Tinkerer

edited March 2023

I don't know what happened but I had a spelling error and as I corrected it my entire reply vanished… I'll try again.

Sure my apps will eventually end up on the correct monitor with the options I posted above checked. However during monitor startup there will still be a disco going on in my appartment with applications jumping around all over the place. So no, unfortunately Win11 did NOT do the trick. In fact it messed up a whole lot of other things for me such as the taskbar being stuck to my primary monitor. That is however irrelevant to this issue and I'm sure there are 3rd party workarounds for it. Now I don't know if enabling TPM 2 in my BIOS or installing Win11 caused this issue… but I am now experiencing horizontal stripes/flickering on my Asus monitor. It also occasionally turns black (off?) for a second or so. This happens after every PC restart. The only way to fix it seems to be a restart of the monitor.

I did not install any display drivers other than the latest nvidia graphics driver. As far as I can read, all my monitors are plug and play and has drivers for it in the device manager. The link that you posted only provides colorschemes? And I'm more than happy with the colors.

• Maas90

Tinkerer

What a journey I've gone through tonight I just wanna tell you…

1. Upgraded my Win10 to Win11 through windows update.
    2. Realised Win11 didn't help me at all and its features we're driving me insane, including my new monitor flickering issues.
    3. Decided to revert the changes back to Win10 but it ended up a disaster as TPM2 completely locked me out of my SSD. Only had black screens after welcome screen and formating the harddrive through "Shift+Restart" method required a password to my Microsoft account (that I'm well aware of btw and I could login with in on my phone) but it just wouldn't accept it. I tried every single method available to get past the welcome screen but everything required a password.
    4. Realised I had to get my SSD wiped so I dug up an old PC that I used to extract a Win10 version to a USB. Plugged my current PC back in and installed it.
    5. Now I'm busy installing a shitton of programs and stuff trying to get everything up and running. I lost some valuable files but nothing too major since I keep most things on a HDD.

Still got the same old problem with the monitor and I've come to realise that the problem probably lies with the monitors power button. Feels like it acts the same way as if I would completely pull the power cable and then plug it back in, and thats why windows are rearranging screens and stuff. I don't know if there's any way to reprogram how the power button on the monitor works or not but yea. I'm on the verge of giving up as I'm back to square 1 after all this *****. Thank you for your help, if you got any other ideas I'm all ears as long as it has nothing to do with Win11 and TPM.

• Maas90

Tinkerer

Okay I think that I've figured out that I somehow need to do an EDID override or try things out with a HDMI cable instead of Displayport. Screen stripes/flickering is not occurring since I went back to Win10 btw.

• Maas90

Tinkerer

Wow that's actually it. At least with an oldschool 60hz HDMI cable my issues are gone. I can't believe I didn't figure this out before I went through hell. So yea I'll go to the store and get myself a HDMI 2.1 I guess. I have a 3080TI so it has support. Thanks for showing interest and hopefully someone in need can find this thread.

• JackE

Thanks for reporting back. I'd still install the ACER OEM Win10 driver in the link I posted, not just the Widget app. The plug n play feature only uses a generic Windows driver which may not provide as much functionality as the OEM driver.

Jack E/NJ

• Maas90

Tinkerer

Yeah I did install it during troubleshoot but made no difference. I realised a HDMI cable was provided with the monitor and I'm currently using it. I don't know how to tell which version of HDMI it is however, but it only runs at 144hz on 1440p. When downscaling to 1080p there are no options for hertz except 144hz, can't even use 60 hz when downscaled. So now I'm confused, a HDMI 2.0 should be able to run 240hz at 1080p (anything less than 2.0 suffers lower hertz) while a HDMI 2.1 should be able to run 240hz at 1440p.