Acer Nitro 5 AN515-54 fan speed problem it around 1900 - 2000 rpm which seems normal for low usage

rhysling
rhysling Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2022 in Nitro Gaming
Hello,

I have purchased Nitro 5 AN515-54 yesterday, and I have the same issue described in these topics:

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/592600/acer-nitro-5-an517-51-fan-doesn-t-slow-down-after-gaming-session
https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/594505/nitro-7-fan-does-not-slow-down-after-heavy-process

So basically the fans start going over 4000 rpm after a small increase in cpu usage and they stay like that. Only way to make them turn back to normal is to toggle "CoolBoost". After that the fan speed will be around 1900 - 2000 rpm which seems normal for low usage. Also custom fan speed doesn't seem to work. Even with custom the fans will go over 4000 if they want to :D

I have updated the BIOS to latest version (1.31) and it has default values. I would be glad if someone can give me an idea on what to do. Can it be a hardware related problem? Thank you.
[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,687 Trailblazer
    edited September 2020 Answer ✓

Firstly, CPU/GPU fans are made to dissipate heat from your Acer Nitro 5 CPU/GPU laptop and to reduce heat. You can repaste your, CPU/GPU with “Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut thermal conductive paste” by using the ‘pea method’ (as some laptops are not pasted properly) or get a tablet cooler but, a laptop like the Acer Nitro 5 will always increase in temperature(s) the harder you push it and are designed to reach temps of 90c, hence and that is why fan rpm increases which is normal and essential to keeping your CPU/GPU cool. 

Don’t worry about the fans increasing in rpm as that is part of the design as an increase in rpm is not as drastic as a decrease or your fans not responding to heat rise at all and only running at 2000rpm. And as 'andylb' said in one of those posts "It takes a while for the fan speed to come down to the current temperature as it not only cools the CPU but also senses the heat in surrounding surfaces and idle fluctuates. Remember gaming laptops are not like an average laptop, they have high performance hardware producing heat, packed into a small space so the fans run faster than a regular laptop"

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,687 Trailblazer
    edited September 2020 Answer ✓

Firstly, CPU/GPU fans are made to dissipate heat from your Acer Nitro 5 CPU/GPU laptop and to reduce heat. You can repaste your, CPU/GPU with “Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut thermal conductive paste” by using the ‘pea method’ (as some laptops are not pasted properly) or get a tablet cooler but, a laptop like the Acer Nitro 5 will always increase in temperature(s) the harder you push it and are designed to reach temps of 90c, hence and that is why fan rpm increases which is normal and essential to keeping your CPU/GPU cool. 

Don’t worry about the fans increasing in rpm as that is part of the design as an increase in rpm is not as drastic as a decrease or your fans not responding to heat rise at all and only running at 2000rpm. And as 'andylb' said in one of those posts "It takes a while for the fan speed to come down to the current temperature as it not only cools the CPU but also senses the heat in surrounding surfaces and idle fluctuates. Remember gaming laptops are not like an average laptop, they have high performance hardware producing heat, packed into a small space so the fans run faster than a regular laptop"

• rhysling
    rhysling Member Posts: 2 New User
    I see. Like you said I am used to regular laptops, so the fan speed worried me a bit. It looks like it is normal for this type of laptops. Thanks a lot for the explanation.
  • Speedyboi
    Speedyboi Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have a question idk why but for some time the fans are not running at dull speed even though my gpu is over 80 degrees so is there a fix like the max its hitting is 3800 rpm it used to go to 6100 but now it just maxes out at 3800 rpm. Thanks in advance
  • Huber
    Huber Member Posts: 3 New User

The same problem is happening to me, I have installed and uninstalled Nitro sense and nothing works, I alternate the coolbost and the fans go down to a normal speed, after a few seconds they go up again to 4000 or 4390 Rpm and it is annoying, it should be clarified I tested them by placing my laptop in a very cold place where it reached 30° and the processor was at 2% use and the fans kept spinning at those speeds and making a lot of noise, I don't know if it's a driver problem or something like that , if someone already found the solution to the problem please share it, in many acer forums you only say that "the fans should spin due to the temperatures" I don't want to format my computer and lose everything or maybe damage it.

• Huber
    Huber Member Posts: 3 New User

It also happens that if I try to lower the speed of the fans in Nitro sense in the custom option, they don't go down, they just go up a little, but if I try to raise them more than the 4000Rpm that they are already giving, if they go up, it's a very annoying problem. Please, has anyone found a solution? my model is an Acer Nitro 5 AN515-54