motherboard a515-51g-84sn I can't seem to find a service manual to get parts list I'm unsure about

pbroussard
pbroussard Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in Aspire Laptops

So my brother had his hinge break off the lid. We ordered hinges, lid and beze for the la515-51g-84sn laptop. I completed the repair then went to turn it on and the laptop is dead. Removed the bottom cover again to check if any connections were loose or unplugged from the repair. I have tried to reset bios by both unplugging the battery and using the little reset button. No luck there.

I'm suspecting I may have zapped it with static electricity as it's been pretty dry down here. At the point where I'm looking for another motherboard, it came with C5V01 LA-E892P board. I searched eBay for a motherboard a515-51g-84sn and came up with a part # LF N17SG1_2G which appears to be identical but since I can't seem to find a service manual to get parts list I'm unsure about it.

I can find C5V01 LA-E892P board for an exhorbitant amount, but he'd be better off getting a new laptop. But if I can find one for under 100US I'll swap it out, this time with a wrist static discharger thing. Any help?

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,687 Trailblazer
    edited March 2023 Answer ✓

Disassemble the whole laptop again and reassemble it as you must have done something wrong, check the screen eDP cable and its plugs at both the screen end and the mobo ends for damage or pin shortages, check the RAM and also the bios battery or replace it, also try to clear the CMOS like below:

Also, your OEM C5V01 LA-E892P is an ACER Aspire A515-51G A615-51G motherboard with the CPU i3 6100U gpu: 940 2GB, 4GB RAM DDR4 Acer part# NB.GP411.002 and its one of this models lower specs versions. If you are getting another mobo, you should look for the hiugher spec A515-51G mobo for this laptop, as they will fit also.

I’m including a list of all the mobos that Acer lists for the Acer Aspire E515-51 and A515-51G laptops, try to buy the A515-51G Mainboard that is the Intel Nvidia 2G Acer Logo - LF N17SG1_2G/ i7-7500U HDMI non-bl – Acer part #: NB.GPC11.004 mobo as it’s a better board and will improve this laptops performance allot and is a worthy upgrade, if you want to spend the money on this laptop, as a new mobo like the “Genuine Acer A515-51 Motherboard Mainboard Intel I5-7200 UMA NB.GP411.003is selling on eBay for USD $900.00

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer

Google search ‘LA-E892P & aliexpress’ If you can't find a new replacement mainboard for about $150 from a aliexpress concessionaire that ships to your location, then yes better to look for a newer laptop.

Jack E/NJ

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,687 Trailblazer
    edited March 2023 Answer ✓

Disassemble the whole laptop again and reassemble it as you must have done something wrong, check the screen eDP cable and its plugs at both the screen end and the mobo ends for damage or pin shortages, check the RAM and also the bios battery or replace it, also try to clear the CMOS like below:

Also, your OEM C5V01 LA-E892P is an ACER Aspire A515-51G A615-51G motherboard with the CPU i3 6100U gpu: 940 2GB, 4GB RAM DDR4 Acer part# NB.GP411.002 and its one of this models lower specs versions. If you are getting another mobo, you should look for the hiugher spec A515-51G mobo for this laptop, as they will fit also.

I’m including a list of all the mobos that Acer lists for the Acer Aspire E515-51 and A515-51G laptops, try to buy the A515-51G Mainboard that is the Intel Nvidia 2G Acer Logo - LF N17SG1_2G/ i7-7500U HDMI non-bl – Acer part #: NB.GPC11.004 mobo as it’s a better board and will improve this laptops performance allot and is a worthy upgrade, if you want to spend the money on this laptop, as a new mobo like the “Genuine Acer A515-51 Motherboard Mainboard Intel I5-7200 UMA NB.GP411.003is selling on eBay for USD $900.00

• pbroussard

Tinkerer

Yes, I tore it down again and looked carefully at the 2 headers I unplugged while doing the hinge and lid repair, display cable wasn't plugged in quite all the way.. And I removed the heat sink and fan off to clean the goop and applied AS4 goop. It came over the edge of chips slightly, but no more that the oem goop had done. Will take your further suggestions to it tomorrow.

Just what I was looking for, a list of compatible motherboards for this model. Appreciate the help!

• JackE

Your mainboard should be the 51G, not the 51. As mentioned earlier, Google search ‘LA-E892P & aliexpress’ for vendor concessionaires who ship to your location.

Jack E/NJ

• pbroussard

Tinkerer

yes I caught the link StephenGen posted, it was for the 51. But the list provided was what I needed. Thanks for the suggestions, combing through offerings now.

• pbroussard

Tinkerer

I'm getting conflicting info here. The Acer  la515-51g-84sn specs list I7-8550U with  12GB memory. This was a Costco model, not sure if it matters though. Have not searched extensively but it seems like LA-E892P with those specs would be prohivitively expensive.

• JackE
    edited March 2023

No, if you look at my very first short post on March 19 immediately before the long post , and research the Aliexpress site (similar to Amazon's) for the LA-E892P mainboard you described in your initial post, you might find what you're looking for in the price range that's acceptable. I bought a brand new fairly recent vintage Aspire mainboard for $25 with free shipping and got it in less than 2 weeks from their stateside warehouse. I'm not sure what you mean by prohibitively expensive, but I just did a quick and dirty search and found 8th gen i7s for ~$200. And if your goal is to get the thing in decent running shape you can go for the 6th i5s for around a $100. There might be cheaper deals but you have to search for them on the site just like Amazon.

Jack E/NJ

• pbroussard

Tinkerer

I'm sorry, I didn't reply directly to your first comment. I've been checking my work on the laptop, and doing my own research based on the suggestions here. You seem to be correct with your AliExpress links, thanks for the help! The part number I have installed is NBGT011002, wish I could edit posts if I wanted to add info.