Monitor (Acer Nitro XV282KKV) won't turn on after firmware update

Jinjo_
Jinjo_ Member Posts: 4 New User

I've been having issues with my monitor where the screen seems to copy the first row of pixels at the top down (like bars), but this only happens for a frame or two.

I went with a firmware update (which claimed it was successful) from the software support site on Acer, and now my monitor won't turn on at all.

I tried unplugging it and holding the power button down for 30 seconds, albeit to no avail. The power LED doesn't come on too.

If anyone has any fixes for this, or will this be an RMA job?

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,880 Trailblazer
    edited March 2023 Answer ✓

Did you upgrade the firmware properly and to the “Acer Monitor Firmwire Upgrade Tool UserGuide_EN” (see file attached below, as that is how this firmware has to be upgraded exactly otherwise you have bricked the monitor’s bios chip and the chip has to be either reprogramed or changed.

Acer also has the Read Me on this Nitro XV282KKV this Monitor Firmware Upgrade - Version:v007.f709 - Date: 2021/08/05 that categorically states which versions of this monitors firmware should be upgraded, and its this:

Read Me

The firmware on products from batches prior to weekcode 130 may be upgraded.

The customers may check if the monitor is eligible for upgrade by referencing the SN on the product/carton label

PS: Refer to code YWW in the SN for the weekcode

Example (PPPPPPPPPPYWWSSSSSMMEE)

Answers

• StevenGen
    edited March 2023 Answer ✓

Did you upgrade the firmware properly and to the “Acer Monitor Firmwire Upgrade Tool UserGuide_EN” (see file attached below, as that is how this firmware has to be upgraded exactly otherwise you have bricked the monitor’s bios chip and the chip has to be either reprogramed or changed.

Acer also has the Read Me on this Nitro XV282KKV this Monitor Firmware Upgrade - Version:v007.f709 - Date: 2021/08/05 that categorically states which versions of this monitors firmware should be upgraded, and its this:

Read Me

The firmware on products from batches prior to weekcode 130 may be upgraded.

The customers may check if the monitor is eligible for upgrade by referencing the SN on the product/carton label

PS: Refer to code YWW in the SN for the weekcode

Example (PPPPPPPPPPYWWSSSSSMMEE)

• Jinjo_

I used the same app, and followed the EN instructions.

Would I have to send the monitor back to Acer to get the chip replace/reprogrammed?

• Jinjo_

Also, would this have anything to do with the issues I was having before the firmware upgrade?

• StevenGen
    edited March 2023

Unfortunately any firmware flash is the users responsibility and if you mess this up and wreck your monitors bios then its your responsibility, that is why Acer categorically instructs its firmware flash and what model numbers should be flashed, and unfortunately you flashed it wrongly and ruined the bios chip that needs reprograming and/or replacing by Acer support that they will charge you for this job to be done. So inquire with Acer as they might fix your monitor for no cost, best is to say nothing and just return the monitor and see what Acer does and says if your monitor is still under warranty?

• spork141
    spork141 Member Posts: 2 New User

@Jinjo_ I just did this exact thing and now I fear my monitor is bricked. I can go on complaining about it but at this point I just want to know if its fixable without sending it back. Did you ever find out a solve or did you have to send it back to get repaired? Any help would be appreciated.

• Jinjo_

@spork141 I sent mine off for repair and the underlying issue was the motherboard on it was faulty. It's since fixed the screen flickering (and it not turning on obviously)!

In regards to unbricking it, you can look into unbricking it by reprogramming the chip. But it will cost in the region of $40 on eBay for it. Unfortunately I'm not an electrical engineer to give proper advice, but there are a few tutorials on YouTube how to flash a bios chip.

Best of luck my friend! :)

• spork141
    spork141 Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks @Jinjo_ … Thats what I feared. I took the loss and got another monitor with the same features. This brand lets you update the firmware via USB stick (the old fashioned way), and when you mess it up you can just do it again with the factory firmware and revive it. This has always been the way of things until recently. A little more work but worth the felxability.