Helios 300 About the Battery, it says it has charge protection according to Acer all over

Napkins
Napkins Member Posts: 27 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited March 2023 in Predator Laptops

So according to almost every single post about the Battery and keeping it plugged in, everyone here says it is ok to leave your battery plugged in for as long as 3 months as Acer has “overcharge” protection that supposedly keeps the batter around 95% or doesn't keep charging after around that etc..

Well, my question is do you have to actually have the Acer Care program running to get this feature? as I do not run Acer Care center in the background etc.

I have Helios 300 2019 model.

Thanks.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title and to add issue detail]

Answers

• wascas
    wascas Member Posts: 1,194 High-End Contributor WiFi Icon
    edited March 2023

There must always be a built-in overcharge protection, otherwise the lithium battery would be overcharged and thus destroyed. This is independent from Acer care center.

You can set the charge limit to 80% in the acer care center if this option is offered to you. This option is not available for all machines. To preserve the health of the battery, avoid deep discharge cycles, constant charging at 100% and too high temperatures. These things put unnecessary stress on the battery and lead to higher wear.
    Do not leave your device with built-in battery permanently connected to the power supply and carry out regular charge and discharge cycles, i.e. disconnect the device from the power supply, discharge the battery and charge it again. And do not expose your device to excessive heat.

• Napkins

So my Acer Care center does not offer the option of Limiting the charge to 80% but I have long extended periods of time where I need the Laptop plugged in and since I don't have that option to limit the battery to 80% in my Acer Care software, I assume my model doesn't offer that.

I do however see that many say that it's ok to leave the laptop plugged in for even up to 3 months without unplugging it, but then they mention you should run the batter down at somepoint every 3 months or to recycle a charge on the battery every 3 months.

Your answer is appreciated, but a little confusing as you mention:

• “All batterties Must have an overcharge protections”

(which yes makes sense),

but then you also mention “do not leave permanently connected to the power supply and carry out regular charge and discharge cycles”

So, can you Clarify, that it is ok to leave the Laptop connected to the power supply for atleast a month long without unplugging it?

I have not felt/seen extreme heat situations with my power supply or laptop yet.

I actually limit my cpu to 96% in the advanced power settings in windows as well as Min/Max settings at 0%min and 95% max like so : (this disables Intel Turbo boost and forces the CPU to stay below its standard clock speed thus keeping extreme heat and throttling on the Laptop)

and then secondly, I never overclock my GPU and keep the fans on high rpm as well :

• wascas
    wascas Member Posts: 1,194 High-End Contributor WiFi Icon

The built-in charging electronics ensure that the battery is not damaged, even if the device is connected to the mains for a long time. It is so that then the battery for this time again and again does mini-cycles of charging and discharging, so charge to 100% - charger switches off - state of charge falls to 95% - battery is charged again, etc. and the battery is then almost always in the state of charge between 95 and 100%. In the long run this condition is not good, it is better to keep the state of charge between 40 and 80%. As I said, constantly on the mains is not harmful, just not the best solution. But we don't want to make a science out of it now, the notebook battery is an inexpensive commodity and not a (much more expensive) battery in an electric vehicle.

If you want to know more about lithium batteries, see this link.

https://batteryuniversity.com/article/bu-808-how-to-prolong-lithium-based-batteries

• Bucksnort
    Bucksnort Member Posts: 20 Troubleshooter
    edited March 2023

So my Acer Care center does not offer the option of Limiting the charge to 80%

Napkins does your Acer Care not look like this? Shoould have 3 pages in the battery section, 80% is on page 2.

• Napkins

• “In the long run this condition is not good, it is better to keep the state of charge between 40 and 80%”

in regards to ‘condition not good’, well it kinda is clear that Acer should have made an option to set for users who have it plugged in longer to limit charge to those ranges then.. I understand the nature of having a laptop is for on-the-go nature, but there are companies that do actually think of features that are beneficial to the users/customers.

and thanks for the response, I will read your link about batteries,

and they cost about $50-90 just so you know, to replace them, so they aren't the most cheap things, but it depends on the persons financial situation.

Lenovo is one of the companies that oddly enough has such a feature of apparently Innovation, among a few other famous laptop builders..

Here is Lenovo Laptop settings to do exactly that as you mention, it forces the battery to not charge and stay at 60-80% and you can toggle this setting on/off.