Nitro 5 an515-54 fan rpm 5000+ even on idle

wsedrfgh
wsedrfgh Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

System:
Acer nitro 5 AN515-54-584Q
Windows 10 20H2 19042.804 (latest)
Bios V1.32 (latest)
Current NitroSense version 3.01.3016 (latest)

Issue:
i've tried everything:
 - upgrade/downgrade nvidia drivers, intel graphics drivers, chipset drivers
 - upgrade/downgrade every bios version
 - change nitrosense version 
 - ThrottleStop, switch to powersave mode, tweak the processor power setting to 40% as max load
 - check if there is same issue on other operation systems (arch linux, ubuntu - yes, there is same issue)
None of theese above not working even close.
It feels like the fan can't run at any rpm except over than 5000 no matter what (comfort value at 2000 - 3000)
I can't beleve it's normal, i have to use my laptop only with headphones.

Best Answers

• batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    Answer ✓
    This looks like corrupt FW of the EC (embedded controller), you have to wait for BIOS/EC update or give it to a service center to reprogramm the EC. You have one more option - to mod your BIOS and then disable EC Fan control and adjust your own fan curve...
    Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158

• wsedrfgh

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Update: just took this laptop from repair service, and there said it's a hardware issue, something like a short circuit in some component. This is my first acer laptop and i got this peace of ****.  It's a last time i bough acer. batmalin said:
    This looks like corrupt FW of the EC (embedded controller), you have to wait for BIOS/EC update or give it to a service center to reprogramm the EC. You have one more option - to mod your BIOS and then disable EC Fan control and adjust your own fan curve...

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Go to ControlPanel's edit power plan. Click change advanced power settings. Click process power mgt folder in the  box that pops. Click system cooling policy, Try setting both to passive when possible. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• wsedrfgh

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Go to ControlPanel's edit power plan. Click change advanced power settings. Click process power mgt folder in the  box that pops. Click system cooling policy, Try setting both to passive when possible. Jack E/NJ
     this is the first thing I did, I even forgot to mention it
  • JackE
    Was it always like this out of the box? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• wsedrfgh

Tinkerer

JackE said:
     yes, looks like
  • batmalin
    NBFC? Did you try it? https://github.com/hirschmann/nbfc

• JackE
    JackE said:
      >>>yes, looks like>>>

What does 'looks like' mean? Was it or was it not stuck on high speed since when you first acquired the laptop? How long ago? Or are you unsure? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• wsedrfgh

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    JackE said:
      >>>yes, looks like>>>

What does 'looks like' mean? Was it or was it not stuck on high speed since when you first acquired the laptop? How long ago? Or are you unsure? Jack E/NJ 
    yes, the fan speed was high since i bought this notebook, but then I paid less attention to this problem because it was actively used most of the time, the laptop was bought less than a year ago, and yes, since then, to find out the reason why the fan speed never drops below 5000 rpm, I took it apart to clean it from possible dust, but I didn't find anything like that.
  • JackE
    >>>Bios V1.32>>>

Have you checked for hidden BIOS menu fanspeed options by pressing Ctrl+S in the Advanced & Main tabs? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• wsedrfgh

Tinkerer

edited February 2021
    batmalin said:
    It seems that this is what I'm looking for, I did not find the configs for my model (in the pool requests too), could you tell me from which model i can find suitable configuration or documentation describing the required read/write registers? Thank you very much for the answer, I was looking for something like this for a very long time
  • wsedrfgh

Tinkerer

edited February 2021
    batmalin said:
    ok, I figured it out, but the situation is similar to what it was, I can overclock the cooler to 100%, but when I set the values to 30%, the speed does not drop below 70% p.s. yes i disabled every NitroSense services
  • wsedrfgh

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    >>>Bios V1.32>>>

Have you checked for hidden BIOS menu fanspeed options by pressing Ctrl+S in the Advanced & Main tabs? Jack E/NJ
    I checked hiden menu, but there is only rst/ahci switching options, is there should fancontrols options? it changes everything if so 
  • wsedrfgh

Tinkerer

edited February 2021
    JackE said:
    >>>Bios V1.32>>>

I checked it again, no fanspeed options found after ctrl + s pressed

Edited the content to hide sensitive information.

• batmalin
    Answer ✓

• wsedrfgh

Tinkerer

batmalin said:
    thank you
  • batmalin
    You are welcome!

• JackE
    >>> the laptop was bought less than a year ago,>>>

Yeah, OK. But don't waste any time. Arrange for warranty repair service pronto. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• wsedrfgh

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Update: just took this laptop from repair service, and there said it's a hardware issue, something like a short circuit in some component. This is my first acer laptop and i got this peace of ****.  It's a last time i bough acer. batmalin said:
  • Xonline
    Xonline Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited March 2021
    wsedrfgh said:
    Finally some answer that I want to hear, thanks for making this topic :)

btw, can you update here when your laptop is fixed? , can help other people facing this issue too.
  • wsedrfgh

Tinkerer

Xonline said:
    wsedrfgh said:
    Finally some answer that I want to hear, thanks for making this topic :)

btw, can you update here when your laptop is fixed? , can help other people facing this issue too.
    Soon I will go to another service or sell it, also i found a cause why fan rpm is so fast, it causes because this component (https://aitech1.ru/catalog/mikroskhemy/intel/34365/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA1pyCBhCtARIsAHaY_5eRsQBc7WTxIiCyIj_vXZQ1AvD7AA2ffFRJyWtkjZ0NgVFAQt3rspYaAt89EALw_wcB), it getting too hot and if you manually try to cool it fan speed drops to 2000 - 3000 rpm
  • TTTTTTT
    TTTTTTT Member Posts: 24 Networker

@wsedrfgh The PCH indeed is the cause. I posted about this too.