helios 300 Issue with cpu temp sensors - Thermals temps displayed is way higher than actual temps

Isengrom
Isengrom Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in Predator Laptops

Hello,
I have a helios 300 and I've had some issues with the computer's built-in temperature reading. For reference, the attached photo is a screenshot on cold boot of the laptop. It displays these temps for cpu for a few minutes before falling back to 60ish. In fact, any load on the cpu at all will cause the recorded temp to constantly shoot way up several tens of degrees before returning to normal. With more accurate tools like core temp, I can see the record thermals of my cpu fluctuating from 60-90 degrees despite the computer being completely cool to the touch. I've even confirmed with a thermal camera that the temps aren't higher than 40 degrees. This causes the fan to run 24/7 and it's quite annoying.

Before you suggest it, no, it's not the thermal paste or pads, I had this issue both before and after changing them. My guess is some fault with the cpu cores or something but I have no clue if there is anyways to fix that. I haven't messed with bios or anything ether, just normal use. Any suggestions or fixes would be appreciated.

Also linked is a video from core temp of when I open up a few new tabs. The video is not altered. You can see the temps fluctuated up and down very quickly

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

https://youtu.be/s0rnAaxuYBU

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,687 Trailblazer
    edited March 2023

What is the exact model of your Helios 300, as that would help? Check your fans if they are functioning 100%, check if the Thermal Module is hot at the cpu and gpu when the laptop is turned on and its working and dissipating heat, also the PS states that its temps are 2% +or – discrepancy and the Core Temp software is about 5% different to the PS. But a laptop like yours its normal for temps to fluctuate from the mid-90s temps to even 100c when the laptop turns off, and go down to the lower temps as it depends on the room temps and the games and software that you are using this laptop for.

Have your laptop up to date and especially if you have games use the latest Nvidia drivers and the GeForce software settings for the games that you play and also set NVidia Control Panel with all the software like games and high end to the High-performance NVIDIA processor as all this will set your laptop for the best settings for all cpu/gpu demanding gmes and software and keep temps down.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    edited March 2023

I can see the record thermals of my cpu fluctuating from 60-90 degrees
    despite the computer being completely cool to the touch. I've even
    confirmed with a thermal camera that the temps aren't higher than 40
    degrees.

Touch & thermal cameras can't accurately detect actual CPU chip temp buried under heatsink thermal module and case. It is entirely normal for background processes to create CPU fluctuations as you describe. 90*C CPU excursions like this happen all the time. The fan noise can be considierably reduced by turning off CoolBoost in Predator Sense app. From what you've posted, you don't need to run CoolBoost since it ramps up fan speed at much lower sustained temperatures .

Jack E/NJ