Bios for Acer Aspire S7-191-6447 Download

LN1008
LN1008 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Hello,

This is a long shot, perhaps, but can anyone tell me where I can download the latest BIOS for an ancient (purchased in 2013) S7-191-6447?

Many thanks! LN

Best Answer

• wascas
    wascas Member Posts: 1,194 High-End Contributor WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

Which BIOS version is installed? Do you have issues and why do you want to update the BIOS? The latest version 2.19 is available on the support site for your model.

Answers

• wascas
    wascas Member Posts: 1,194 High-End Contributor WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

Which BIOS version is installed? Do you have issues and why do you want to update the BIOS? The latest version 2.19 is available on the support site for your model.

• LN1008

Tinkerer

Thanks, Wascas. I've upgraded. I was having difficulties upgrading from Windows 8.1 to 10, and am hoping this will help.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

It's not too likely to help, what issues are you having with the upgrade? We might be able to help with that.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • LN1008

Tinkerer

Thanks, billesy, for your offer. Yes, I am indeed having trouble with the upgrade from Win8.1 to Win10. The first time I tried, the install got stuck on 2%, not even getting to the first reboot. I upgraded the BIOS and the drivers and tried again. The install process got through the first reboot, but got stuck at 10%. Both times, the error message was the same. See below.

Suggestions appreciated. LN

OxC1900101 - Ox200C

The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with and error during APPLY_IMAGE operation

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,687 Trailblazer
    edited February 2023

Just in addition to the above, as I've done a clean install from Win-8.1 to Win-10 Pro on a similar 3rd Gen Intel HD Graphics 4000/NVidia GT640M gpu laptop but not on a Raid 0 array, and it worked out perfectly.

Make sure that the Aspire S7-191-6447 bios Version:2.19 is installed, then do a Clen Install of Win-10, but and due to the Aspire S7 which has its Win-8.1 OS installed in a fast RAID 0 array of two 128 GB SSDs you have two choices, either do a Raid 0 clean install of Win-10 or just install the win-10 on 1x 128GB LiteOn 128GB SSD drive. For the clean install in Raid 0 array look at guides on how to do that on the web.

The errors that you are getting with the upgrade is because the Aspire S7-191-6447 is installed in Raid 0 array and there are problems like below with the upgrade.

1. Error 0xC1900101 – 0x2000C - refers to a limited space issue (as the Aspire S7-191-6447 has 2x Lite-On CMT-128L3M drives) in the system driver where Windows is installed. Make sure you have sufficient space in your C drive (system drive). If we look at Windows 10 requirements, the space needed for Windows 10 32-bit clean installation is 16 GB while 20 GB is needed for 64-bit installation.
    2. Error SAFE_OS - errors usually occur when you install the latest Windows 10 version or reinstall the OS. To fix the problem, update your drivers, check your drive for errors, and restart the Windows Update service. Sometimes, you may need to go through all these steps to get rid of these errors.

• billsey

Typically that error is generated by an incompatible driver that fails when the installer tried to load it. Remove all peripherals, uninstall any antivirus, verify all drivers are updated to the latest for W8.1 and perhaps disable any printer, audio and video drivers. Also sometimes it will work better with a clean install instead of an upgrade, but that would mean you would need to reinstall all your apps and data...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • LN1008

Tinkerer

Thanks for your input, StevenGen. I had already updated the BIOS to 2.19, and updated all my drivers. I'll check the drive for errors and look into how to restart the Windows update service. (Is the latter even possible now that MS has discontinued support?) I'm not sure how to approach the RAID 0 array business. I wasn't aware of that as a factor. I'll look into it. If you have ideas as to where to start, I'd appreciate learning of them.

Best wishes.

• LN1008

Tinkerer

edited February 2023

Hi billsey,

Thanks for your suggestions. I've been using the (oddly named) Media Creation Tool to install Windows 10 on this old Acer. I chose the option to delete all programs and personal files, so I guess that's a clean install. I'll try again, after taking all the precautions you mention.

Best wishes.

• billsey

Yeah, that option doesn't actually delete everything, it moves some stuff into a Windows.old folder and reuses the existing drivers. If you boot from the flash drive that Media Creation Tool makes for you, then do a new install and wipe all the existing partitions at the screen where it asks you where to install it does a full clean install.