My Acer Spin 3 (SP314-54N) stopped charging via Type-C.

Sam3210
Sam3210 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Hello! My Spin 3 recently stopped charging via Type-C. I have been using the same Type-C charger and it's always been working until recently. I checked to see if it was the port's fault but it still recognizes my phone when I plug it into my laptop through a type-c to type-c cable. If I'm not mistaken, the problem started when I tried to plug in the normal AC adapter and the Type-C charger at the same time. Do you know what happened? Are there any fixes?

Thanks,

Sam

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,329 Trailblazer

With machine turned off, unplug charger(s). Gently insert and press a paperclip into the battery pack disconnect pinhole on the bottom for about 30 seconds. Plug USB-C charger back in. Does battery charge LED now glow steady orange or steady blue?

Jack E/NJ

• Sam3210
    Sam3210 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Unfortunately, no. My laptop still only charges with the AC adapter. Do you have any other ideas?

• JackE

>>>f I'm not mistaken, the problem started when I tried to plug in the normal AC adapter and the Type-C charger at the same time>>>

I don't think that's the cause. Plugging both chargers in at the same time should be OK. The machine should auto switch to the most powerful charger. How many watts is the regular charger vs. the usb charger?

Try this. While the regular charger is plugged in and charging normally, plug the USB-C charger back in again. If still charging OK with both plugged in, unplug only the regular charger. What happens now?

Jack E/NJ

• adk818
    adk818 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

I received my Acer Spin 3 on May 2022, and everything seemed to be working smoothly. By January 2023, the unit randomly stopped charging via the provided USB-C adapter. Even when the adapter is connected, the indicator light fail to show and the laptop does not charge. As the laptop was still under warranty, I sent it in for repair. The laptop worked fine until October 2023, when the SAME issue recurred AGAIN. I reached out to customer service and escalated to Nicholas at Acer Support Level 2 stating that their repair within the warranty period did not work and the laptop is broken within a year of the last fix. They demanded a payment of $650 to fix the computer again, despite the fact that their initial repair had failed to rectify the problem. Acer refuses to acknowledge implied warranty rights that protects consumers from recurring defects, even beyond initial warranty period. To fix the issue last time, they replaced the motherboard, battery, and USB C Pin. This is clearly a manufacturer defect and this computer should be recalled!

To add to this, my friend has the exact same model and the exact same thing happened to her too (once during warranty period and again after warranty period). What are the odds of 4 identical failures across 2 laptops within 24 months?!? I'm staying away from Acer for my future computer purchase.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer

It sounds like something is causing physical damage to the port. In most cases that is user caused, not a manufacturing defect.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JackE

Google search 'enable usb charging' just in case in was somehow disabled in Device Manager.

Jack E/NJ

• adk818

Tinkerer

How did you come to conclusion that it's a physical damage? If I drain all the power out of the laptop and press the reset button, then the USB C start charging the computer again. However, if I remove the power adapter afterwards when the computer still has battery, then the laptop refuse to charge. There does not seem to actual connection issue with the port. Furthermore, the exact same issue occurred to two users with different usage pattern across two laptops. The laptops' ports failed within a month of each other.

• JackE

Google search 'enable usb charging' just in case in was somehow disabled in Device Manager. If already enabled, uninstall the driver. Exit Device Manager without reinstalling anything. Shut down Windows normally. Then turn machine back on and let Windows automatically re-detect the port and re-install a fresh copy of the driver.

Jack E/NJ

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 7,524 Pathfinder

Get a larger USB-C charger specially designed for laptops with a fixed heavy duty USB-C cable attached, I recommend at least 90- Watt, Thunderbolt supports up to 100-Watt. These USB-C chargers have been tested with laptops by ZDNET:
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/best-usb-c-laptop-charger/

• adk818

Tinkerer

I went through all 5 the entries under USB and un-selected "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" under "Power Management" tab. Then I restarted the computer. Unfortunately, the laptop still does not charge via USB-C. I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and the issue persists. Do you have other options or are you referring to another setting? Thanks!

• adk818

Tinkerer

Interesting. I didn't realize that there are 100W adapters. I used the 65W adapter that came with the laptop. Does it need more power?

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 7,524 Pathfinder

A 65-Watt power adapter that came with your Spin3 is the AC brick type with a DC barrel pin that fits in your DC barrel port. A USB-C charger was not provided with 2020 model laptops. BTW this thread has been inactive over 10 months, you will get a better response if you start your own thread. 😉

• JackE

https://community.acer.com/en/profile/adk818

Please post a phone photo of your charger and its plug.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey

You can use whatever size you wish for the charger, the laptop will only pull what it needs from the charger. I'm using a 100W USB-C adapter with my Spin right now, but it only pulls the 65W that the charging circuit wants from that adapter.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Abbashabibi
    Abbashabibi Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Approximately year ago, I bought an Acer Spin 3, a few months post-purchase, my Acer Spin 3 ceased to charge, rendering it unusable. I sought assistance through Acer's repair services, only to encounter the identical charging issue today, mere months after the repair. This problem is not unique to me; numerous users have reported the same defect, pointing to a widespread, systemic issue in the manufacturing or design process of this model.

The recurrence of this defect, evident across multiple users, clearly indicates a manufacturing flaw. It raises serious questions about Acer's quality control and commitment to customer satisfaction. The fact that such a critical issue has reemerged even after repair efforts suggests that mere temporary fixes are inadequate and that a more significant, permanent solution is required.

I am calling on Acer to acknowledge this pervasive issue and take decisive action. This should involve more than just individual repairs, especially when these have proven to be a temporary solution. Acer must consider recalling the affected models or providing a more substantial remedy that extends beyond the standard warranty period to truly address the root cause of this defect.

The silence or inaction from Acer on this matter is unacceptable. It not only affects customer satisfaction but also impacts Acer's reputation as a manufacturer committed to quality and reliability. As consumers, we place our trust in brands expecting durable, reliable products, not devices that fail repeatedly due to manufacturing oversights.

I urge Acer to respond to this issue with the seriousness it deserves. Failure to do so will compel me and many others to escalate our complaints to consumer protection agencies and explore legal avenues to ensure that consumer rights are upheld. It's time for Acer to demonstrate its commitment to its customers through actions, not just words.

To fellow consumers, I encourage you to share your experiences and join in calling for accountability and quality from the products we invest in. Our collective voice can drive change and ensure that our expectations as consumers are met.

• JackE

https://community.acer.com/en/profile/Abbashabibi

With your Spin3 off & plugged in, is the battery LED unlit, blinking or steady orange?

Jack E/NJ

• JackE

https://community.acer.com/en/profile/Abbashabibi If the laptop still boots with the original charger plugged in, then the battery's own built-in regulator is most likely blocking charge due to a problem or fire hazard with one or more of the battery's lithium ion cells. You should replace the battery pack.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey

There have been, literally, hundreds of different Spin 3 models over the years, with widely varying designs and features. without knowing just which Spin 3 you have, we can't tell if your issue is systemic to a model or just a random occurrence. Your full model number is usually on the same sticker as your serial number, it should look something like SP3xx-xxx-xxxx.