Installing Linux Mint - Aspire E15

Leonard41
Leonard41 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited July 2021 in Aspire Laptops
I am trying ti install Linux mint on my Aspire E15 laptop, When I am told to take out the USB and restart it will shut down then reboot with a screen telling mr there is no bootable drive, can any on help me with the problem. 

​//Edited the content to add model name.

Answers

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @Leonard41

Can you tell more details how did you install Linuxmint?

I suppose you use a separate drive or at least a separate partition with EXT4 format to store Linuxmint.

Do you have Windows with your laptop before the installation?

The location of the Linuxmint bootloader should be on the Fat32 UEFI partition.
  • saravananbvm
    saravananbvm Member Posts: 2 New User
    Maybe you forgot the UEFI partition or forgot to select the trusted boot file  
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,431 Trailblazer
    >>>I am trying ti install Linux mint on my Aspire E15 laptop, When I am told to take out the USB and restart it will shut down then reboot with a screen telling mr there is no bootable drive, can any on help me with the problem. >>>

If you're trying to install Mint alongside Windows, it must be installed on the GPT-partitioned drive in UEFI bootstrap. If you changed the drive to MBR partitioning, it won't boot in UEFI bootstrap mode and the Windows system likely won't boot anymore either. Follow these instructions if Windows still boots..

( 0) Pre-shrink Windows partition to desired unallocated space for Linux installation. Shrink it a lot if you want (use ControlPanel disk manager)
    ( 1) Make bootable GPT/FAT32(default) stick from the LinuxMint installation iso with Rufus, a freeware download.
    ( 2) Set BIOS supervisor password(SECURITY), disable secure boot(BOOT)& enable F12 Windows boot mgr (MAIN). Save BIOS settings & exit. May not be needed with some Linux installations like Mint.
    ( 3) Shutdown & insert bootable LinuxMint stick
    ( 4) Turn back on while immediately tapping F12. Select Linux stick to run.
    ( 5) Preferrably select a default Linux install option
    ( 6) Follow on-screen instructions to install alongside Windows.
    ( 7) Let Linux automatically set & resize partitions for Linux & its swap. Adjust for more or less space only if absolutely necessary.
    ( 8) Shutdown & remove Linux stick.
    ( 9) Turn back on while tapping F2.
    (10) Re-enable secure boot(BOOT) & select UEFI file as trusted(MAIN). Select HDD0, SSD0 or eMMC0, then <EFI>, then <ubuntu>, then grubx64.efi the UEFI file. Enter grubx64.efi in the space provided if selecting it doesn't automatically enter it. Save BIOS setting and exit.
    (11) Boot into Windows. Then shutdown again.
    (12) Turn back on while tapping F12.
    (13) If desired, put grubx64.efi ahead of Windows boot manager in UEFI bootstrapper (often unnecessary)

Jack E/NJ

• SkylarPhoenix
    SkylarPhoenix Member Posts: 1 New User

ACER Aspire E14 user here, I registered just to say that JackE's solution has worked for me. I'm a first time linux mint user and was on the verge of giving up the Linux Mint installation and just installing Windows 10 instead but upon reading this, it has finally worked for me, and I hope others who find this in their search in the future will also be able to get their Linux Mint running on their Acer Laptops as well or for any other brands for that matter!

In my case after following JackE's instructions, I got the shim_lock error when I tried to boot into Linux Mint and I found a post on reddit that says that I simply need to disable secure boot again as opposed to JackE's instructions and it worked! My Acer E 14 Laptop has life again! It has finally booted into Linux Mint!