How do I update my PC BIOS | IPIMB-AR Aspire M3985

floppidity
floppidity Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited January 2023 in Legacy Laptops and Netbooks

From what I know the motherboard is a "IPIMB-AR acer aspire", Product name: Aspire M3985, Serial Number: DTSJQSA0142XXXX, SNID: XXXX.

Im trying to upgrade my BIOS because I recently purchased a GTX 1050 Ti and am getting no output with it, so I figured I'd try to update the BIOS, I really appreciate the time anyone takes to reply to me, thanks.

Edit: I apologise if I am in the wrong category, I also used the Windows 10 detection tool for the information I supplied above.

[Edited the thread to add model name and to hide sensitive information]

Answers

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,717 Pathfinder

@floppidity here is your model driver site. Choose carefully the BIOS version. https://www.acer.com/us-en/support?search=Aspire%20M3985&filter=global_download&suggest=M3985;0

There is one similar thread that has the same problem and it is solved: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/480197/acer-aspire-m3985-bios-upgrade#latest

Try to change CSM to Legacy or disable secure boot according to "snookerap"

Hope this will be useful to you.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • floppidity

Tinkerer

@AnhEZ28

how do I know which BIOS driver I want? I’m on windows 10, sorry for being stupid, I just don’t know

• AnhEZ28
    edited January 2023

@floppidity try to run dxdiag or go into the BIOS for check your current BIOS version.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
  • floppidity

Tinkerer

@AnhEZ28

I’ll keep you posted, for now I’m going to sleep, thank you for your help

• floppidity

Tinkerer

figured out its p11-b1, how do i update my bios now? I've downloaded the file and disabled secure boot, dont know how to do the CSM part.

• floppidity

Tinkerer

Good news, I got the GPU to work, I got my video output, now it’s black a screen, it shows in my tv settings it’s show 640x480 with a black screen, how can I fix this now?

• floppidity

Tinkerer

and it is also now showing my gpu in task manager

• floppidity

Tinkerer

But I’m DxDiag I see this

• floppidity

Tinkerer

I’m also installing the NVIDIA driver for the 1050 to if that helps to fix the photo error

• floppidity

Tinkerer

It would go as normal, give me display, after about 30 sec it just goes black

• floppidity

Tinkerer

I booted into safe mode, didn’t black screen but the resolution was still terrible,

edit: after rebooting into windows normally without safe mode it crashed, now whenever I turn the PC on, get to the window user login, it will blue screen everytime

• AnhEZ28

@floppidity the BIOS is the latest for now. The CSM should be at the BOOT option.

Try to uninstall the driver and login back to the windows.

• floppidity

Tinkerer

@AnhEZ28

So should I install the gt 710 it came with and uninstall the driver than install the new GPU in and than reinstall?

• floppidity

Tinkerer

@AnhEZ28

so heres what i did

boot in bios (with gt 710 installed), disable safe boot and use change the CSM.

Shutdown, and install the gtx 1050 ti and boot into windows, login, screen blurs and goes into 640x480 resolution or would go black.

shutdown and uninstall the gtx 1050 ti

reinstall the gt 710 and boot into windows, login, and the screen would flash and go back to normal, went to nvidia and downloaded the 1050 ti drivers, installed and shutdown

reinstalled 1050ti, booted into windows, logged in and screen would go black after 10 seconds or so

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

So it goes black with both GPUs? That would seem to point at the Windows configuration instead of the hardware. The low resolution is just the default when Windows doesn't know what GPU is installed, so it uses the Basic Display Adapter drivers instead. When you installed the Nvidia drivers for the 1050 and rebooted it should have come up with the correct resolution.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • floppidity

Tinkerer

@billsey

Can you list step by step of what to do? also its just the gtx 1050 ti which is giving me issues, the gt 710 is working fine.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

Take a look in Device Manager at the Display Adapter section. What is listed and are there any errors or warnings shown? Next go to Display Settings and verify that the correct resolutions are selected. You might take screen shots and post them so we can see what might be going on. Also, look in Event Viewer to see if anything is recorded when the screen blanks...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.