Acer Aspire 7 391"No bootable device" - and can't enter BIOS

vadr335
vadr335 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited January 2023 in Aspire Laptops

Acer Aspire 7 391 when powered on shows "No bootable device - please restart system" - white text on black screen. Pressing F2, Fn+F2, Del, or any other key results only in repeating this line on the black screen. What to do?

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Best Answer

• vadr335
    Answer ✓

For the record - the problem was resolved by connecting external USB keyboard, and pressing F2 on it. That worked, the BIOS was entered, where it was found that it switched the mode of the storage. Once I changed it, the laptop successfully booted up, and its own keyboard works as usual.

It looks like there was a little crack in the SSD connector; perhaps it lost contact at some point, maybe at the time or being dropped, which reset storage mode.

Answers

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,717 Pathfinder

@vadr335 Press CTRL+ALT+DEL on the "no bootable device" screen to restart, then rapidly press F2 while the screen is black and before then Acer logo appear to access the BIOS.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • vadr335
    edited January 2023

If I press ctrl-alt-delete, the result is one more line of "No bootable device".

If I power off and power on, pressing F2 before the logo appears, the result is the same - "No bootable device" after the logo.

All this after the laptop was accidentally dropped on the floor.

• AnhEZ28

@vadr335 what about after pressing the power button, holding FN, and then tapping F2 after the Acer logo appears? I'm afraid that after the drop, either the SSD or the SSD connector is broken.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
  • vadr335

Every pressing of F2 produces another line "No bootable device", with or without Fn.

What I don't understand is... OK, even if there's no bootable device - doesn't it have to enter BIOS anyway, if only to specify what bootable device will be?

• AnhEZ28

@vadr335 if the SSD is disconnected, it will show No bootable device by default. Also, the keyboard connector might also lose after the drop which causes the Fn button not to work.

• vadr335
    Answer ✓

For the record - the problem was resolved by connecting external USB keyboard, and pressing F2 on it. That worked, the BIOS was entered, where it was found that it switched the mode of the storage. Once I changed it, the laptop successfully booted up, and its own keyboard works as usual.

It looks like there was a little crack in the SSD connector; perhaps it lost contact at some point, maybe at the time or being dropped, which reset storage mode.