HELP!! Unable to switch from integrated to dedicated graphics in Aspire E15 (E5-553G)

torquehead
torquehead Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

My laptop has Radeon R5 as integrated graphics and  R7 M340 2GB dedicated graphics but I am not able to switch between them or select a particular one for different applications. I have selected performance mode under power settings but still nothing works. In AMD Radeon software the custom option is also greyed out.

Please refer to the pictures attached!

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer

The integrated GPU might actually be preferred by and work better for some apps & games. What options are available in the dropdown below? You can also try to temporarily disable the integrated GPU in Device Manager to try to force the R7 to kick in.

Jack E/NJ

• torquehead

Tinkerer

On disabling the integrated R5 graphics "Microsoft basic render driver" is kicking in instead of dedicated R7.

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,717 Pathfinder

@torquehead what happens to the custom setting if you press the GPU 2 option?

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • torquehead

Tinkerer

@AnhEZ28 Nothing happens it stays greyed out.

• JackE

Have you ever been able to switch since you acquired the machine?

Jack E/NJ

• AnhEZ28

@torquehead there is an advanced option below, try to scroll down to see if you have the GPU workload section

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
  • torquehead

Tinkerer

@AnhEZ28 There is no such option in my pc. Guess my best bet now is to visit the service center!

• AnhEZ28

@torquehead I see that the two GPUs are linked in the task manager somehow. Did you try to test out the game and looking and the task manager usage?

• JackE

Have you ever been able to switch since you acquired the machine?

Jack E/NJ

• torquehead

Tinkerer

@AnhEZ28 The dedicated graphics is always at 0%

@Jack22 Last I checked was almost 2 years ago, and yes back then I was able to switch.

• JackE

>>>almost 2 years ago, and yes back then I was able to switch>>>

Aye! Way too long ago to use Control Panel restore point app. Automatic restore points are deleted by default after a month or so.

Perhaps about the best way to try to recover the capability is an Acer OEM Win10 factory reset from the hidden Acer recovery partition. This can often be done -- meaning not 100% guaranteed --- while tryng to save your personal files. A factory reset often works but only IF another operating system or a generic Microsoft Win10 reset was NOT also attempted.

Do you want to try a factory reset? It'll take several hours complete depending on the boot drive speed. And no guarantees it'll work.

Jack E/NJ

• torquehead

Tinkerer

@JackE After multiple failed attempts at trying every solution on the web, I did a bios upgrade and a fresh Windows install yesterday, but still no luck 😐

• torquehead

Tinkerer

Is it possible that my dedicated graphics card has gone kaput?

• JackE

>>>a fresh Windows install yesterday>>>

An ACER OEM Win10 factory reset? Or a generic Microsoft Win10 reset? They are NOT the same.

Jack E/NJ

• torquehead

Tinkerer

@JackE Sorry for late reply man, actually mine came with dos system and a hdd. When I did a fresh window install i also replaced the old hdd with a new ssd. Then I installed windows from a bootable pendrive.

I am sorry ai don't know the difference between acer oem factory reset and generic Microsoft windows 10 reset. Could you please elaborate? Thanks!

• JackE

>>>actually mine came with dos system and a hdd.>>>

Do you mean Win10 was not factory installed? In other words, you bought it with a DOS-like command line interface only?

Acer OEM factory installed Win10 has a hidden reset partition on the HDD if things go wrong. The Acer OEM Win10 version has proprietary drivers for the proprietary Acer mainboard that may also depend on system files that aren't normally in Microsoft Win10 generic version.

Access to the hidden reset partition can often be done by the ALT+F10 cold boot method.as shown in this video. Again, this OEM reset version is only available on machine's that came with factory pre-installed Win10.with the original boot drive or a cloned boot drive.

https://community.acer.com/en/kb/articles/41-how-to-restore-windows-on-acer-computers-using-alt-f10-on-startup

Jack E/NJ

• AnhEZ28
  • torquehead

Tinkerer

@JackE Yes Jack it didn't came with pre installed windows 10.

@AnhEZ28 After downloading and installing the VGA driver from the Acer website (your provided link), my Radeon settings were reverted to an old version, and now the dedicated graphics I used to see in device manager and AMD settings is showing a different one. But the current dedicated graphics, which is visible, is also present on a sticker on my laptop body.

Then I tried connecting an external display using HDMI, as I heard that HDMI ports are connected to dedicated graphics, but still no luck; it was connected through the integrated Radeon R5 graphics.

@JackE @AnhEZ28 Why is it happening?

• JackE

>>>>Yes Jack it didn't came with pre installed windows 10.>>>

It did come Win10? Or it didn't come with Win10? Your sentence is confusing?

Jack E/NJ

• torquehead

Tinkerer

@JackE It didn't come with windows 10.