My Nitro 5: AN515-52-fan very loud even on idle or browsing, is it normal?

Rink
Rink Member Posts: 1 New User
edited October 2022 in Nitro Gaming
I bought an Asus nitro 5 laptop and I have problems with my cpu temperature and fans and I am unsure if my laptop is just faulty or if this is normal for this model, can some of you check if this appears on your nitro 5 as well?
--> While Windows updates were loading (NOT installing) in the background with nothing else running, both fans were on average at 4800 rpm with the CPU temperatures reaching 90+ degrees celsius all the time with a load of 10 percent on the cpu and zero on the gpu.
--> While surfing the internet (youtube etc), the cpu again reaches 90 degrees celsius (load on cpu is 4 %, gpu is at zero) and thus the cpu fan turns on and off between 3500 and 5500 rpm (spikes are for example when clicking on a youtube video to open it) with an average of 4000 rpm. The gpu fan is at 4000 rpm as well with load of zero.
--> The fan doesn't go below 2500 rpm when I am doing nothing on the laptop and no application are open. the max seems to be 6100, the fan is loud if it reaches 3300+ rpm (increasingly so).
--> I only tried one game - Farcry 3 - just to see how the laptop will react under load: 90+ degrees on CPU (with 40% load on cpu), fans both at maximum 6100 rpm (very loud) constantly when a game is running.

I have tried different energy settings, there is nothing blocking the exit of the fans, outside temperature is at 20 degrees celsius and I disabled the CoolBoost already. Now I have owned a lot of laptops. But I have never seen a laptop react like this while not under load.
Are 5000+ rpm spikes on my fans normal when not under load? Is it normal to have 4000 rpm average while just browsing with no applications open but the browser and "nitrosense" to keep track of temperature? Is it normal to be constantly at 90 degrees on the CPU while gaming? Is there a definitive way to find out if this is a hardware defect?

My Nitro 5: AN515-52-76LV, Intel Core i7-8750H, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050, 8GB Ram, 256 GB SSD.

Thanks for your help.

[Edited the title to add model name ]

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Rink 

The above mentioned temperature and fan speed should be normal for your device.

Make sure the notebook is clean inside; there may be something still stuck in it - a bit of lint or little tiny bits - after a couple of years things do find their way into the vents.  Maybe you are lucky and this is all it is.  Just in case this happened, you can take another shot of cleaning it from the outside:

Shutdown the notebook, disconnect any external bits and the power from it.
    Get a little wooden toothpick and stop the fan from turning in the large vent on the side (or back depending on model).
    Using a can of compressed air, from a few inches away, gently and repeatedly, using short bursts, spurt the the air into the vent to dislodge any dusty bits.
    Repeat the cleaning part for the other vents - toothpick not needed...

>>Next, go to the hardware store and get some tall rubber "feet", little circles or squares of plastic / rubber.  Place a "foot" on each corner of the bottom on your notebook, two of the feet on the edges of that nice big battery.  This is to get even more clearance under that notebook for more air circulation.

Here's the fan true value table of your device:

>>You can check the power settings of your laptop with these steps 
    Select "Control Panel" from the Start menu >Click “Hardware and Sound,” and then “Power Options.” A new window opens.
    Click “Change Plan Settings,” and then “Change Advanced Power Settings.” The “Power Options” dialog box opens.
    Select the “Advanced Settings” tab. Click the plus symbol associated with “Processor Power Management” to open an options submenu.
    Select “System Cooling Policy” from the submenu. Click the down arrow under “System Cooling Policy” to reveal a drop-down menu.
    Select “Active” from the drop-down menu to increase the speed of your CPU’s cooling fan. Click “Apply” and then “OK.”

A laptop cooling pad can help to reduce the operating temperature of a laptop. These pads are used when a laptop is not able to cool itself  sufficiently. It is intended to not only protect the laptop from  overheating but also to prevent the laptop user from suffering from  discomfort that is related to the use of a laptop. An active cooler will  move air around or a cooled liquid to remove laptop heat quickly.  Passive methods use materials that conduct heat and help to increase a  passive airflow around the laptop. 

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • Crashy1
    Crashy1 Member Posts: 4 New User
    edited November 2018
    I have the EXACT same issue as you. It CANNOT be normal surely. I'm sitting here with a brand new laptop that sounds like a jet engine every minute, and all im doing is browsing on chrome with a few tabs... When i press the power button it boots up with jet engine fan noise, the Nitrosense software i had was telling me one second the CPU temperature is low(40ish degrees celsius)(with a low load usage on the cpu) LITERALLY WITHIN A SECOND, its displaying that the CPU temperature jumped up to 80-90+ degrees celsius and yet still saying the CPU usage is on the lower end of load usage and has hardly changed. WHAT i'm trying to say is the temperature reading coming through is very unstable and makes no sense when compared to the actual load the CPU is at. This has got to be incorrect readings.... Faulty sensor? My exact laptop is Acer Nitro 5 AN515-52-53H0 (the one that comes with the optane technology). Please tell me this is not normal. Another thing this ONLY happens when the charger is plugged in and the laptop is charging. When i unplug the laptop it winds down immediately, there is no difference in CPU LOAD, but literally when i pull the plug magically Nitrosense shows that the CPU temperature just shed 20-40+ degrees in a second. Something very wrong when the laptop is charging!

Also after doing a factory reset to try and fix the issue i no longer have Nitrosense installed. And when i try to download it from the Acer website it only installs the Nitrosense Service application.. and not the actual Nitrosense program with the front end and all. So i can no longer keep track of things. having to use HWMonitor and im having a hard time.

This is my first Acer Laptop and Acer experience overall, And i'm not having a good time at all! I've contacted support and the lady seemed to think it's a fault as well but she didn't seem too sure about herself. Can someone confirm if this is normal? Thanks.
  • Crashy1
    Crashy1 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Update: I managed to fix this issue myself. Here's what I did, I'm not sure which of these fixed the issue but it was on of them and so I shall list them all...

Tweaked the processor power setting. I set it to 75% as the maximum load. It should never need to go past 75% anyway... and i'll tweak it when i need to.
    I set processor cooling to passive (Don't worry it still keeps the processor more than sufficiently cool) 
    I set the dedicated 1050 graphics card to Global default, The integrated graphics were set to default from factory.
    I re-downloaded Nitrosense and set AC to Balance immediately.
    I shut down and restarted the device.

One of these did something to stop the cooling system from going crazy and thinking the CPU was at 90+ degrees Celsius while at less than 10% load WHILE the fans were at 5885 RPM lol

Now working perfectly and it's a great Laptop! Great value for money. I wouldn't want to use this to game though, Gamers should get Desktops imo. I got this for everything else (Developing and editing on the go).
    Thanks.
  • Blocks
    Blocks Member Posts: 4 New User
    I am having a different issue, my laptop fan was wounding wierd like if the blade of the fan was hitting something else, does anyone know how to fix this.
  • Goodbridge
    Goodbridge Member Posts: 2 New User
    Well, three years later the first message, Acer still ignores its users and their problems... My brand new Nitro 5 (AN517-41-R97A) has the same issues. Brand new laptop with Ryzen 7 5800H, 16 GB RAM, RTX 3070. No program open, fans start whining like crazy, with a bonus unbearable oscillation in the high tone. I ran a test and opened 5 programs at once (DAW + Nvidia Canvas + After Effects + sample manager). CPU and GPU went up, but once I shut all 5 programs, fans barely went down. Constant whining noise with oscillations, during hours, with or without other programs opened.
    So Acer engineers didn't find two minutes in three years to solve the problem ? What's that clownesque company ?
    I emailed the support which keeps replying that if the computer is faulty, I should bring back my computer to the shop where I bought it.
    It's unacceptable from Acer to ignore the problem and act as if they weren't aware of the problem THEY're responsible of. It's not a faulty or broken computer : the issue is that the BIOS is crippled ! This is unacceptable !
    I also filed a complaint at my local consumer protection/mediation office.
    I highly suggest all users in the same situation to file a complaint against Acer. I did it already by going to the website of a consumer mediation organization and opening a case there. If many customers or users do the same, hopefully  Acer will finally decide to do something.
  • Maxwelgm
    Maxwelgm Member Posts: 1 New User

I agree with @Goodbridge , three years and Acer didn't take a few time to help. I have the same issue, and is making me crazy. Its very annoying have the fans in top all teh time, even when notebook is almost idle. I can found any ways to fix this. I considering change for a Dell ou sansung , or another brand. shame of you acer, shame of you.

• DeeGeeZG
    DeeGeeZG Member Posts: 1 New User

I'd like to add that I am having the same issue with my Acer Nitro AN517-51 since the day one.

And this issue with a fan is one of the reasons I will never go back to Acer again (apart from touch-pad being basically unusable after one year) . It is absolutely not normal to have a fan going that loud while doing literally - nothing.

Sorry, but this is unacceptable. Especially the fact that Acer never took the time to investigate the issue. I used HPs, Asus, ThinkPad and other notebooks - never had an issue like that.

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 Ally Posts: 4,044

@DeeGeeZG

I am really sorry for the inconvenience.

Kindly follow the details from link given below:

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-silence-noisy-laptop-fan/

https://www.myfixguide.com/fix-laptop-fan-noise/

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-best-way-to-reduce-a-laptops-fan-vibration-Since-yesterday-the-noise-is-unbearable-I-cleaned-it-3-times-already-I-can-t-get-rid-of-the-fans-vibration-which-keeps-making-a-very-bad-noise

https://in.pcmag.com/components/142708/how-to-fix-a-noisy-computer-fan

https://homelyville.com/laptop-fan-making-buzzing-noise/

https://thenoisefix.com/acer-predator-helios-300-fan-noise/

If your laptop is in warranty you can contact the warranty dept.   Go to the website support.acer.com - chose your country.  On the new page - scroll down - click on "contact support". Scroll down. You can find the phone no to contact the warranty dept. 

If it is out of warranty, please contact local store or

Go to the website support.acer.com - chose your country.  On the new page - scroll down - Click on "Repair My Acer" - Request to have your Acer product repaired.  There will be charges for repair. 

Additional info to contact Acer Store: Please visit the website - support.acer.com - chose your country - click on shop.  You can buy desktop, laptop, monitor and accessories. Alternatively, on the top right corner you can find the phone no to contact Acer store.  For the parts which are not available on Acer store, you have to contact local store.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• PolishGirlfriendUSA
    PolishGirlfriendUSA Member Posts: 1 New User

I have Acer Nitro 5 AN515-53-52FA and one of the fans was making horrible noise. Using the NitroSense app I determined it was a problem with the GPU fan. I opened the case, sure enough it was very dirty. But cleaning it did not resolve the noise problem. I took a chance and decided to disconnect the GPU fan. It worked out beautifully, the CPU fan is sufficient to keep the laptop cool and quiet. Temperature stays about 72c on CPU and 46c on GPU. However please do not disconnect both fans, I tried it briefly and the CPU will overheat and shutdown.

• Jump_Jump_Jump
    Jump_Jump_Jump Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter

Any fix yet?

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 7,524 Pathfinder

You have the GTX 1050 so the fan Acer part# is 23.Q2CN2.001and this fan is interchangeable, freely available on Amazon for $10-$15. Larger GTX 1060 requires a heat sink assembly with 2 fans but are only slightly more expensive. Instead of going through all the trouble posted on this thread, just replace the noisy/bad fan and the unit will run cooler and less noisy.