I have an Aspire 5 A515-56-508PP laptop won't start and loops to Automatic repair that fails help?

sootyvrs
sootyvrs Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

I have a Aspire 5 laptop which recently crashed and after restart it tries to auto repair but fails every time.

I have gone in to trouble shooting and tried to reset this PC with and without remove personal files and it gets to around 10% and then get message "There is a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made"

I have gone into all the options in troubleshoot - Advanced options and all reboot to the same loop.

Please can anyone assist with this problem. Thanks in advance

Best Answer

Answers

• wascas
    wascas Member Posts: 1,194 High-End Contributor WiFi Icon
    edited November 2022
  • sootyvrs

Tinkerer

I did the stop auto repair and then tried to reset the Windows and get the same error as before "There was a problem resetting tour PC. No changes were made" after a certain % progress.

Any other suggestions to try?

• wascas
    edited November 2022

Try to repair your PC with the following steps.

1. Create a bootable flash drive with Windows Media Creation Tool.
    2. Enable F12 Boot menu in the BIOS.
    3. Insert USB flash drive, start your computer and begin tapping F12 to enter boot menu. Select USB. When you see the windows screen, click "Repair your computer" on the left side of the screen.
    4. Click "Troubleshoot", "Advanced Options", "Startup-Repair" or try "System Restore".

If no success, I suggest to do a clean installation of Windows. If possible, check the health of your SSD with CrystalDiskInfo

• sootyvrs

Tinkerer

Thanks for getting back to me.

Noticed that link is for Windows 11 media creation. My laptop is Windows 10?

• sootyvrs

Tinkerer

Downloaded the ISO file but it seems I cannot use the Windows Media creation tool with this file?

I read further that I can use some software called Rufus to create a bootable USB from the ISO but need a PC to do this as my PC won't boot into Windows.

I do have a Mac Mini M1 but need windows to run Rufus

• sootyvrs

Tinkerer

Finally managed to get a bootable Windows 10 USB downloaded and created with the Media creation tool.

Tried the boot with F12 and selected USB but only see option to setup Windows and no option to "repair your computer"

When I try to do a clean install of Windows it's unable to see any hard disk to install it asking to load driver so can't go any further

• wascas
    edited December 2022

The IRST driver is missing so Windows can not see the disk. Follow this procedure to install the driver.

1. Download the IRST driver fom here.

2. Create a new folder on the Windows installation USB drive and unzip the zip-file to it. You do not need a second USB for the driver.

Just use the Windows installation USB drive.

3. Connect this USB drive to the system where you are installing Windows 10.

4. On the page where you select the drive to use, click Load Driver. 

5. Click Browse, and navigate to the folder on the USB drive with the previous extracted files. When you selected this folder, click OK.

6. Select Intel RST VMD Controller 9A08 (TGL), and click Next.

7. The selected driver will be loaded, and the SATA drive will become available for selection on screen.

You can have a look at this picture from the german forum

• sootyvrs

Tinkerer

Thank you for all your help.

Finally re-installed a new Windows 10 install successfully so I can now login with some initial credentials I created.

Unfortunately some device drivers seem to be missing. Most notable one is the touchpad is not working so I got round it by plugging in a mouse.

I have looked into the BIOS (F2) and noticed that there is no option I can see for enabling touch pad and I also have tried the F7 key to try and enable it with no success.

I then went to the drivers page for my laptop below -

I downloaded installed both the Serial IO driver and the Touchpad drivers (tried both) and still does not work. Any ideas? Thanks

• sootyvrs

Tinkerer

Downloaded all the drivers and installed each one and it seems to have fixed the touchpad.

The only problem left now is the ELAN-Fingerprint cannot find a driver.

I have looked in Device Manager and the Hardware ids is USB\VID_04F3&PID_0C4F&REV_0161

I cannot see this driver in my support downloads for my Acer computer. Any ideas? Thanks

• sootyvrs

Tinkerer

Great thanks that worked! Didn't try that one as it was Windows 11 and I'm using Windows 10.

Is there a way of backing up this set-up (for example to the recovery partition) as so I can restore to this point if I have to re-install windows again?

Not sure why the recovery partition isn't able to reset the machine fully when usinf Alt F10

• wascas

You can create USB recovery media. Have a look at this link.

https://community.acer.com/en/kb/articles/129-acer-recovery-media

• sootyvrs

Tinkerer

Thanks for the link but not sure if they are out of date as when I launch revovery manager from Acer Care Centre and select backup-Create, I have no option to create recovery media from USB and it just sends me to Microsoft Backup?

The Care Centre I downloaded is version 4.00.3042

• sootyvrs

Tinkerer

I think I sorted it now as I have done it from Windows instead of the Acer care centre. Thanks again for all your help