Does anyone have a BIOS dumb for Aspire XC-605?

Buten
Buten Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

hi looking for a working BIOS dump (not just the BIOS files from Acer) if anyone has them.

I'm attempting to recover a bricked PC and want to manually reflash the chip, however i erased my chip without backing up the corrupted data that was already on it.

so, if anyone has the same machine and can provide a dump of their BIOS it would be really appreciated!

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,462 Trailblazer

There are different variants for Windows and for Linux.

I suggest downloading and unzipping the latest BIOS firmware for the OS you're using at this link. For example, expand the ROM folder and re-name binary file therein to RCVBOOT.CAP (such as P11-B4.4M to RCVBOOT.CAP).

Copy the file to a FAT32 formatted USB stick. Insert the stick and turn the machine on. You should hear two beeps if chip can still read. Select 'Proceed with flash update to start recovery. Press a key to reboot after it's done.

Works about 25% of the time depending on if the bootblock had also been somehow wiped or damaged.

Jack E/NJ

• Buten

Tinkerer

thanks @JackE, i have tried that and unfortunately had no luck

since i did not make the smart choice to back up the original chip, at this point im just looking for a dump of the bios from anyone who has the same system

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,430 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon

I would try to unplug and take the battery out maybe for a complete day or speed up the draining process by holding the power button down while unplugged and the battery removed.

If you have a volt meter you can measure across the battery terminals to see when it is completely drained.

Good Luck and let us know.

• JackE

ButenIt doesn't help to start multiple threads on the exact same issue. Please try to stay with one thread so we avoid re-hashing and repeating suggestions that haven't resolved the issue yet.

Jack E/NJ

• Buten

Tinkerer

@Larryodie, the battery generally seems to be fine, im mainly looking for a dump of the bios for this particular system here

• JackE

It is unlikely that you'll get the proper dump on these forums. Accordingly I suggest making a request on bios mods forums. Or perhaps trying to find a pre-programmed chip. They are rather large surface mounts that can be changed with ordinary pencil tip tools.

Jack E/NJ

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,430 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon

if you can get a full reset then maybe it'll load the factory bios that is embedded on the motherboard as I understand.

It's worth a try for a day at least otherwise follow Jack's suggestions.

Have you searched this board as I saw some chatter about bios for XC-605 ?

• Buten

Tinkerer

edited December 2022

for anyone looking, i found the dump online for my device, attached here.

programming this bios using a ch341a resolved my issue

[Edited comment to delete sensitive information]

• JackE

Congratulations. Thanks for reporting back. Where did you find it?

Jack E/NJ