Aspire 3 A315-51 has M.2 or mSATA slot? How can I put them to upgrade in my laptop?

YJ
YJ Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

I currently have Aspire 3 A315-51-31RD laptop with 1TB HDD and want to upgrade with an M.2 or mSATA if able. I used to have another laptop and had upgrade with mSATA easily. There was apparent slot when I opened HDD cover, but after uncovering A315-51's HDD cover it doesn't seem to have any slot for M.2 or mSATA. I guess either it doesn't have any or I need to uncover another layer.
My questions are ;
1. Is there M.2 or mSATA slot in my laptop?
2. How can I put them to upgrade in my laptop?
[Edited the thread to add the issue detail]

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,076 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    Yes, you can install a M.2 SSD, you have to remove HDD bay door and memory module door, then need to take out all screws from the back cover, release the plastic tabs with a guitar pick or a plastic card and remove the back cover, the M.2 slot is next to memory slot(snip).

• YJ

Tinkerer

Thank you for the picture. They are really helpful. I would be a hard work though.
  • YJ

Tinkerer

More questions.
    Is M.2 PCIe or SATA?
    What size? 2280 or smaller is ok?
  • brummyfan2
    Hi,
    M.2 SATA SSD will definitely work but I believe that a PCIe SSD may also work, you have to check your PCI Express Root port Maximum link width with HWiNFO64, if you find one of the ports has maximum link width of 2x or 4x, then you can install a PCIe/NVMe SSD, please read the thread in the link below for more information, size of the M.2 SSD is 2280.
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/497241/acer-aspire-e5-575-52jf-m-2-nvme-support/p1
  • DANISH5410
    DANISH5410 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi,
    Yes, you can install a M.2 SSD, you have to remove HDD bay door and memory module door, then need to take out all screws from the back cover, release the plastic tabs with a guitar pick or a plastic card and remove the back cover, the M.2 slot is next to memory slot(snip).

DOES IT VOID WARRANTY?
    WHAT SHOULD I DO TO ?
    SHOULD I GO TO SERVICE CENTER ?
    DO IT MY SELF?
    I ALSO WANT TO UPGRADE RAM.

• brummyfan2
    Hi,

DOES IT VOID WARRANTY?
    WHAT SHOULD I DO TO ?
    DO IT MY SELF?

Hi,
    You  have to contact Acer Support centre in your region to find out about the warranty, warranty conditions are different in different countries.
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/

• shakshinec
    shakshinec Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

• Rhon
    Rhon Member Posts: 3 New User
    Why my acer aspire 3 a315 r1g rb4w does not read my m.2 sata green 2280?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Do you mean the A315-21G? I don't know of a A315-R1G model...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • AGMONEY
    AGMONEY Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi,

DOES IT VOID WARRANTY?
    WHAT SHOULD I DO TO ?
    DO IT MY SELF?

Hi,
    You  have to contact Acer Support centre in your region to find out about the warranty, warranty conditions are different in different countries.
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/

Hi,
    What type of M.2 works in the acer aspire 3 a315-51-53es?
    Thank you
  • billsey
    @AGMONEY you should start a new thread for questions that aren't answered in an old thread. That allows you to mark it answered so other people can find it more easily. Your Aspire A315-51 supports an M.2 SATA drive, not M.2 NVMe.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Kuldip122
    Kuldip122 Member Posts: 3 New User
    YJ said:
    I currently have Aspire 3 A315-51-31RD laptop with 1TB HDD and want to upgrade with an M.2 or mSATA if able. I used to have another laptop and had upgrade with mSATA easily. There was apparent slot when I opened HDD cover, but after uncovering A315-51's HDD cover it doesn't seem to have any slot for M.2 or mSATA. I guess either it doesn't have any or I need to uncover another layer.
    My questions are ;
    1. Is there M.2 or mSATA slot in my laptop?
    2. How can I put them to upgrade in my laptop?
    It support nvme or not

• billsey
    Your question has already been answered just above your post, @Kuldip122.
  • MJQ
    MJQ Member Posts: 1 New User
  • billsey
    @MJQ it looks like you have a different model than what this thread is for. Please start a new thread, using the Ask a Question button, and include your model number (Aspire A315-57G?), your question and if you have done anything yet to address it.
  • Viper_09
    Viper_09 Member Posts: 3 New User

Can i put "Crucial P2 500 GB Laptop, Desktop Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) ((CT500P2SSD8) 3D NAND)  (Interface: PCIe NVMe, Form Factor: M.2)"

on my acer laptop A315-51-30H6. Does my laptop support M2 slot plz reply me sir.

• arezooesf
    arezooesf Member Posts: 1 New User

How interesting, thank you for visiting my site.

• Viper_09
    Viper_09 Member Posts: 3 New User

Acer A315-51-30H6 can i use M2 sir