How to put Chromebook Spin CP513-2H to sleep while in tablet mode?

docdunning
docdunning Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Hi all,

I want to be able to put the Spin 513 Chromebook to sleep, from tablet mode, rather than waiting for the idle timeout.

From what I've read, I'm supposed to use the power button, but that doesn't do it. If I press the button briefly, the power-off dialog (Shut down/Sign out/Lock/Feedback) appears on the screen but immediately disappears. Of course, if I press the button for any longer, the dialog appears and stays there, which isn't what I need.

So how do I put the device to sleep in tablet mode?

Best Answer

• docdunning

Tinkerer

edited December 2022 Answer ✓

OK, I've worked out what was causing the problem. 😃

In the on-device help for tablet mode, it says "Turn off display: Quickly tap the Power button and release.". That's what I could not get working.

But just above that, critically, it says: "Tip: If you connect a mouse to your Chromebook, you will switch back to laptop mode."

And guess what, I had a USB mouse dongle plugged in. 😳

So that's the answer. I remove the dongle, and a quick tap on the power button turns off the screen. 👍️

Acer Support at first just repeated the manual to me - "use the power button". Later in the conversation they requested a video of the issue, but that was when I found the solution, so I closed the ticket.

Thanks for your help, @JackE

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer

Short press power button again. Then tap sign-out or lock. Screen should go dark. When you tap screen again, it should wake and then sign back in again or unlock.

Jack E/NJ

• docdunning

Tinkerer

edited December 2022

@JackE , thanks for your suggestion.

I've tried pressing the power button for different lengths of time. Any short press results in the option boxes (Shut down/Sign off/Lock/Feedback) appearing briefly and then disappearing. A longer press results in the option boxes staying on screen.

If I select sign-out or lock, the screen does go dark, but within 5 seconds it's back, showing me the unlock screen where I enter my PIN.

If (on the unlock screen) I do nothing, however, the screen goes to sleep after about 30 seconds. At least that's better than the 4 to 5 minutes it would take otherwise. I have to wake it up using the power button rather than simply tapping the screen, but that's no real hardship.

I guess this is a quirk of the Acer implementation, but I've nothing to compare it with.

• JackE

>>>>If I select sign-out or lock, the screen does go dark, but within 5 seconds it's back, showing me the unlock screen where I enter my PIN.>>>>

What happens if you don't touch the machine or even breathe on it after the screen goes dark?

Jack E/NJ

• docdunning

Tinkerer

-- What happens if you don't touch the machine or even breathe on it after the screen goes dark? --

After five seconds or so, the unlock screen is displayed asking for my PIN.

I did at one time have the Chromebook linked to my phone, but I have removed that, and it makes no difference.

Also - the device updated itself to ChromeOS 108 yesterday, but its behaviour on this issue is unchanged.

I'm wondering if this is just a Spin 513 issue, but like I said, I have no comparable devices to check.

• JackE

>>>I have to wake it up using the power button rather than simply tapping the screen, but that's no real hardship.>>>

>>>I'm wondering if this is just a Spin 513 issue, but like I said, I have no comparable devices to check.>>>

No, I doubt it. You don't want the tablet to wake by tapping the screen if you intend to just carry it around with you in sleep mode to save energy.

Jack E/NJ

• docdunning

Tinkerer

Thanks again, @JackE . What's the best way to contact Acer and get their take on it?

• JackE

If it's still under warranty, go to this link. Choose your country or region. Click support button near top of country page. Enter your machine's serial number id (SNID) and use the chatline, email, or phone contact methods provided. Otherwise, the only other takes you're likely to get on it on either the Acer or Google chromebook users forums.

Jack E/NJ

• docdunning

Tinkerer

Thanks, @JackE

I've submitted a support request - let's see what they say.

• JackE

I'll guess that they won't say much. 🙂 Please let us know either way. Thanks..

Jack E/NJ

• docdunning

Tinkerer

edited December 2022 Answer ✓

OK, I've worked out what was causing the problem. 😃

In the on-device help for tablet mode, it says "Turn off display: Quickly tap the Power button and release.". That's what I could not get working.

But just above that, critically, it says: "Tip: If you connect a mouse to your Chromebook, you will switch back to laptop mode."

And guess what, I had a USB mouse dongle plugged in. 😳

So that's the answer. I remove the dongle, and a quick tap on the power button turns off the screen. 👍️

Acer Support at first just repeated the manual to me - "use the power button". Later in the conversation they requested a video of the issue, but that was when I found the solution, so I closed the ticket.

Thanks for your help, @JackE

• JackE

>>>But just above that, critically, it says: "Tip: If you connect a mouse to your Chromebook, you will switch back to laptop mode.">>>

Was it in small print? 🙂 Thanks for reporting back on the dongle issue.

Jack E/NJ