Usb 2.0 socket is either not proving enough power or worse not working on SF314-42

ReduxGB
ReduxGB Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited December 2022 in Swift and Spin Series

Either after, or long after a recent windows update that included the latest bios update, the USB 2.0 port on my device has stopped working. The issue is sadly not related to windows, as I have went into the bios and plugged in devices, switching between the two ports. The usb 3 port works as expected, but it appears like the usb2.0 socket is either not proving enough power or worse.

Ive tried a few "tests" to try find the issue but no luck

It is able to provide enough to charge a typical iphone when it is drained up to a 2% when it powers on itself, the device then reports it is not charging from that point.

Keyboards are not able to send any input, and if it has lights fitted, they do not activate as opposed to the usb 3 port.

I did try to update the bios but that isn't really possible when it is already up to date. From this point do I contact the company whom I bought it from or is there something else I can try?

[Edited the thread to add the issue detail]

Answers

• ReduxGB

Tinkerer

My mistake. it's actually the usb3 port. the 2.0 port is working fine

• Your SF314-42 does not have USB 2.0 ports and it only has the following USB ports

Try to do a battery reset first by doing this:

Also, check your Device Manager if there are any faults with the USB Controllers or Managers like and with an exclamation mark, as this laptop has 1x USB-C USB 3.2 Gen 2 port and 1x USB 3.2 Gen 1 port (see exact descriptions of these ports above) as these ports very rarely go wrong especially for a new laptop! If all that does not fix your USB problem and your laptop is under warranty, then don't open and/or do anything else to this laptop and send your laptop to Acer for them to fix this problem under warranty, as this is very unusual and rarer.

• ReduxGB

Tinkerer

Hiya, I had replied to correct my mistake as I meant to say USB 3.2 rather than 2.0.

Device manager reports no issues and I have tried uninstalling and restarting incase it was a windows issue. But due to the fact the devices do not even respond in screens alike the bios in the USB 3.2 port compared to the USB 2 port on the other side, it doesn't seem like its a driver issue. The USB3.2 is always powered so it may be related to that mechanism. I will look in the Bios again to see if I can disable this and if so, I will see if it returned to working order.

In regards to a 2.0 port no existing, I can assure you it does. Its located on the other side of the device.

Unfortunately I have opened the device up a few times to perform regular cleaning of the fan due to the environments the device is used in but I will see if they will still take it under warranty as it was purchased via a third party seller (Curries PC World).

• If you opened this laptop a few times then you might have damaged and/or shorted the USB and done some damage, as its not hard to do and that. Check the USB port if there are any solder issues and connection issues to the mobo or the actual port is damaged and needs replacing, as USB ports don't just go bad for no reason.

• ReduxGB

Tinkerer

The port remained working after I had closed the device. It could be the port itself that is damaged but I doubt this as there is always a mouse dongle connected to this port - although this could have been the cause of the problem as that port is always powered or external forces on the dongle could have caused the port connection internally to break a solder or two. Unfortunately the device is no longer under warranty and chances are I will not be sending it in for repair and will rely on a usbc hub and the remaining usb port. I will keep my eyes out for a bios update in case the issue was brought upon by the bois update performed recently.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer

That side also has the audio jack and a couple of indicators. Do they work as expected? They are all on a shared daughterboard that connects to the MB via a cable. If the cable has come loose or if the board has gone bad it's a fairly simple replacement fix. Same if you have shorted that port out, as long as it hasn't damaged anything on the motherboard end.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ReduxGB

Tinkerer

As mentioned above. it is actually the usb 3.2 connector not working. Everything else on that side works though.

The USB 2.0 port **Works** as expected.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer

Ah, that's tougher then, since the other side has the USB port soldered to the motherboard...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.