Acer Predator Triton 300, dissatisfied with performance when not plugged in to power.

math341c
math341c Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2022 in Predator Laptops

Hello Acer community, I have recently bought an Acer Predator Triton 300, as I wanted to get a new good performance laptop, for my studying. I bought a gamer laptop as my store had sales on these laptops and they were cheaper than normal Ultra books laptops. I only use my laptop for some mathematical software, watching movies, PDF editor, etc.

I like the Laptop itself, the design, Windows 11, etc, and SSD file transfer speed. But I am sadly dissatisfied with the performance when the laptop is running on battery without power. I am mostly talking about CPU performance. The GPU for gaming is not that important for me, as I do not game.

So the thing is: when the laptop is plugged into power, it works so fast, so smooth, like liquid. Without any lag or delays. Apps are opening up "instantly" and fast, like the snap of fingers. This is how I expect a 1700 dollars laptop to work all the time. And the "Predator Sense" is only set to "normal" not even high settings.

The issue is: Once I take of the power and the laptop runs on battery it feels like the performance is degraded by as much as 60%. There are lags/delays when opening apps, they are opening slower. Things are not going smoothly, everything works slower. It feels like the CPU is limited drastically and properly is! In my opinion, this is not good enough: that you advertise with the latest technology laptop, with new 11. Gen 8 core CPU, which cannot even be utilized fully as the laptop is limited when running on battery.

I have set the windows battery sitting "To highest performance" and the predator sense does not allow me to set a higher sitting because it's not plugged into power an it still works slowly. It is totally fair and understandable that playing games will not have the same performance on battery.

But seriously just opening Software and opening some things on the computer are delayed? This is not good enough.

I hope there is a way to override it. I would like to unlock the CPU limitation when running on the battery, I guess there must be something I can do. Maybe I change the settings in the BIOS or something?

All my drivers are updated. All the latest windows updates are installed

I see forward to getting support for this.

Best Regards

Math

Answers

• Hi,

Leave the Windows power plan as "Best Performance", go to Control panel, Hardware and sound, Power options, switch to Acer plan and see whether there's any change.

• math341c

Hello. Thanks for your reply.

The plan is already set to "ASUS" and Windows Power plan is set to "Best performance"

This performance degradation literally just happens when I unplug the laptop from power, even when the battery has been charged up to 100%. I guess the hardware is okay. There is something that limits the CPU from performing fully, some "battery saver" mechanism that does it I guess. But it's not Windows, all kind of "battery saver" options has been disabled in Windows.

Best Regards

Math

• No problem, try switching Windows Power plan to Balanced and leave the Control panel plan as Acer plan and see whether it helps.

• math341c
    edited December 2022

Thanks for your answer again.

I can confirm that switching to "Balanced Power" plan in Windows has now improved some of the performance while running on battery :)

But still, there are some small delays that I do not feel when it is plugged into power, do you have more ideas to improve performance while on battery?

Best Regards

Math

• Go to Device Manager and expand Batteries right click Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control method battery and select Properties, move to Driver tab and uninstall driver, reboot and let Windows install the driver, sometimes reinstalling drivers do help.

• math341c

Hello again, I have done exactly what you said again, and there is no improvement doing that.

Any other ideas?

Thank you

Best Regards

Mathias Tynor