How to access Acer chromebook 317 BIOS, Booting via USB would work as well.

Stillblue
Stillblue Member Posts: 1 New User
edited December 2022 in Chromebooks

Is it possible to access the chromebook 317 BIOS? I find the OS inadequate for the jobs that I do and wish to install a fully functional Linux. Booting via USB would work as well.

[Edited the thread to add the issue detail]

Answers

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 ACE Posts: 4,084 Pathfinder
    edited November 2022

@Stillblue

You will not be able to access Bios on chromebook.

You will not be able to access bios on most of the chromebooks.  Normally on a windows computer we tap f2 while turning on the computer to go to bios. 

Chromebook is installed with google os so you cannot access bios on it.

Kindly go through the link given below

https://itsfoss.com/install-linux-chromebook/

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• wmorrison65
    wmorrison65 Member Posts: 3 New User

I'm typing this on my Chromebook 317 running Linux. (MX Linux at the moment but can boot to others.)

See:

I would try RW_LEGACY first so you can still dual-boot ChromeOS until you're sure you want the full firmware (which won't boot ChromeOS.) Keep backups/restore image. I bought a 10-pack of 30GB USB sticks and tested booting various OS's until I decided on one to overwrite the internal storage.

Most obvious problem you'll have is no sound. I got it working by copying asound.state from ChromeOS to Linux. Sorry, been a while so I can't remember details, except MX Linux was the best at detecting hardware (though I got sound working in other distros the same way.)

But no, you can't get into "the BIOS" to speak of, you can get a boot device menu and a few other things, but there's no settings to "tweak" like you would expect on a PC.