Acer CP713-2W-5874 Spin Chromebook Touchscreen not Responding

713SpinUser
713SpinUser Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited November 2022 in Chromebooks

Hello,

My 713 Spin touchscreen has suddenly stopped responding to inputs - finger or stylus. The screen functions ok otherwise, responding to the keyboard, trackpad, and mouse.

I tried a Powerwash and the device is currently updated to the latest ChromeOS version 107.0.5304.110 (Official Build) (64-bit).

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• Try to do a hard reset by disconnecting the main battery and rtc/bios battery and leaving these components disconnected for at least 15min, reconnect all and see if it resets your spin 713.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer

Which model do you have? It should be something like CP713-xxx-xxxx and the model number is usually on the same sticker as the serial number. If the battery reset and a powerwash doesn't clear it up it might actually be hardware. Most of the CP713 models bundle the touchscreen cables into the same cable that handles the display itself and over time it's possible for that cable to develop internal cracks as the case is opened and closed.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • 713SpinUser

Tinkerer

Thank you StevenGen. I disconnected the battery but, my unit doesn't quite match up with your pic so, not sure where the rtc/bios battery is located. As you can see from my pic, I did disconnect "something" to the right of the main battery connection (tho not sure what it is). I let the unit sit for approx 30 minutes that way and then reconnected both with no change in the touchscreen functionality.

• 713SpinUser

Tinkerer

Thank you billsey. The model is CP713-2W-5874. It wouldn't surprise me if it's a hardware problem as I've not been thrilled with the quality of the unit all along. E.g., rubber bumpers integrated into the hinges and on the keyboard deck randomly falling apart and coming off....

I'm not shocked to find other - more serious - quality issues developing in a unit that's approx 2 years old.

Appreciate your help.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer

With the CP713-2W models there is no CMOS battery, which is why you can't find it. :) If the issue is the display cable (eDP) the Acer part number is: 50.HQBN7.007

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.