Acer Aspire 5 A515-43-R19L eDP is unknown by Linux xrandr

ineuw
ineuw Member Posts: 42 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

Using Linux Mint Cinnamon 21, I am trying to modify my 16:9 screen from 1920 x 1080 to a lower resolution. Unfortunately, xrandr is not recognized by eDP and vice versa. Is there any support for xrandr for this laptop?

Disclaimer. This is also posted on the AV monitors forum, and on the Linux Mint forum, unanswered.

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

>>>Do you know which 15.6" Acer laptops have the ability to scale to my preferred resolutions?>>>

I actually think the lower resolution wxga screen would've be better for your needs than the FHD screen you have in there now since it seems to have the native resolution closer to your preferred in this size display. However, the trend is toward FHD in most new models in this size.

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE

Try turning on active display button. Dropdown should show about a half dozen other choices.

Jack E/NJ

• ineuw

Thanks for your reply but that is not the issue. It is the default and the active monitor. The screen resolutions with silly and obsolete geometries. I used the cell camera to snap the options. The display is an old and locked design. Earlier today, I looked at the resolutions available on desktop Acer 21.5" monitors, and the resolution limitations are built into the display and not the video hardware, as I assumed.

• JackE

Sorry. I'm not exactly sure of your issue. The silly resolutions are likely due to the actual physical dimensions ratio (width/height) of the screen itself. The physical ratio is 16/9 or 1.78. The default. The only other lower resolution that should not seem silly for this particular screen is 1280x720. The other resolutions will not completely fill the screen and have black edges.

Jack E/NJ

• ineuw

The problem is that there are only two 16:9 resolutions when there are at least four other true 16:9 resolutions between these. 1920x1080 is way too small and 1280x720 is way too big to work with.

All other options and schemes of magnification have some limitation in one or another of my apps.

Every app does whatever it wants, the blessings and curse of the free software universe.

Linux can easily add a desired resolution when the display design allows it. This does not.

• JackE

>>>Linux can easily add a desired resolution when the display design allows it. This does not.>>>

Yes. Ok. The closest custom resolution between 1920x1080 & 1280x720 that you might find suitable for this particular screen is 1366x768. I've done it with Mint when it's not available in the GUI display tool. https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=291078

Jack E/NJ

• ineuw

I tried as suggested and added the values in .profile, but couldn't get any resolution, including your recommended. The closest I have now, is with increased font size and the scaling factor, and will worry about other apps when I come across them. Many thanks again, and please don't waste your time on this anymore.

Do you know which 15.6" Acer laptops have the ability to scale to my preferred resolutions?

• JackE
    Answer ✓

>>>Do you know which 15.6" Acer laptops have the ability to scale to my preferred resolutions?>>>

I actually think the lower resolution wxga screen would've be better for your needs than the FHD screen you have in there now since it seems to have the native resolution closer to your preferred in this size display. However, the trend is toward FHD in most new models in this size.

Jack E/NJ