R721T number keys work inconsistently I have no problem fixing them just let me know what to do?

bmcdonnell
bmcdonnell Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2022 in Chromebooks

I am a school district that has about 500 of theses devices, some are a year old others are 2 years old. We are finding the numbers keys start to work inconsistently on these models. We have replaced keyboards, sometimes that works, we have power washed them and sometimes that works. Other times neither of these steps work and we have to replace them for our students. Is there a certain chrome version that forces these devices to malfunction? there is some sort a defect somewhere? I would just like to receive help with this. I have no problem fixing them just let me know what to do. This is very frustrating.

[Edited the thread to add the issue detail]

Answers

• Try to do a hard reset by disconnecting the main battery and the rtc/bios batteries and leave them disconnected for 15min and reconnect, see if that helps, also disconnect the keyboard flat cable and clean their pins, as that could have had liquid spilled onto the keyboards (you know how school kids are) and that is why these R721T keys are faulty, there could be numerous issues with these laptops that all need to be checked out.

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 Ally Posts: 4,044

@bmcdonnell

I understand that you already did a power wash.

Kindly follow the details from the link given below.  It will show you how to perform a hard reset. 

https://community.acer.com/en/kb/articles/496-reinstall-powerwash-the-chrome-os

Once the hard reset is completed try to check whether it is working fine by connecting to wireless.   

If it is still not working then it might be a hardware issue and as a temporary solution please connect a external usb keyboard and use it.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer

There is a known issue with some of the R271T keyboards that could be what you are experiencing. Contact your Acer support group and they should be able to get you working right again.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.