My Acer 2 spin 713 CP713 in 1 won't turn on! The charging light comes on when cable is inserted!

Susandawn
Susandawn Member Posts: 24 Troubleshooter
edited November 2022 in Chromebooks

I'm new here but I thought that I'd posted a question earlier but can't see it so I wonder if I didn't post it correctly?

My Acer Spin Chromebook isn't turning on & regardless of what steps that were recommended nothing works!

The charging light comes on when cable is inserted! I've checked & changed the power source & cables, pressed

a couple of buttons like instructed to do ie Power & Volume simultaneously, etc.! I really would appreciate some more suggestions or

Is it dead? Have only had it since April. Thanks in advance, Susan

[Edited the thread to add the title and issue detail] 

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

It sounds like the drive has failed. The lower end versions of the ÇP713-2W models use an eMMC drive soldered to the mainboard, which is why they replaced the board on the initial repair. You are just unlucky in that the second one failed too. Keep trying to contact them, they might be a little swamped with the holidays, and get them to fix it again.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• Susandawn

My Chromebook 2 in 1 has stopped turning on. The charging light comes on! I've tried different cables, power sources, pressing 2 buttons at same time ie power & volume keys & power & (return?) button as suggested in a helpline! I've only had it since April & it's become very frustrating! Any other suggestions? Thankyou, Susan

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 Ally Posts: 4,044

@Susandawn

Unplug the power cable if it is connected . Press and hold the power button. It will turn off.

Now press the power button. Dont hold it .

It will power on. It will go to login screen. Please typ the regular password and login to computer.

Connect the charging cable and charge the battery.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• billsey

Which Chromebook Spin model do you have? It should be something like CPxxx-xxx-xxxx and the number is on the same sticker as your serial number.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Susandawn

Thanks, I've tapped the refresh & power as shown on Acer u-turn but that didn't work. Made sure that the screen light was up.

Acer spin 713. CP713

• billsey
    edited November 2022

Yeah, there have been many, many CP713 models... At least three different model years with lots of different SKUs for each year. For instance the CP713-1WN models had 81 different versions just in that year. It sounds like yours is likely either the -2W-xxxx or the -3W-xxxx versions. Since you ahve only had it since April it should still be in warranty, go ahead and have Acer support open a ticket so they can get it fixed.

• Susandawn

Thankyou so much for your help. Kinda good to know that I'm not alone but then also not very reassuring that this has been a problem for others! I'll create a ticket right now, thanks again, Susan

• Susandawn
    edited December 2022

Acer ÇP713-2W-36LV, won't start up again!!!  I just received it back from being repaired but once again it won't turn on.!  The escape, refresh & power didn't work. any suggestions?

I now really wished that I'd never bought it! Spent $22 to ship it to be repaired, have used it only 3 x's since they returned it!

Thanks, Susan

• billsey

Press and hold the power button until it turns off. Wait a bit then try to turn it on normally. What did they tell you they found when you sent it in for repairs?

• Susandawn

Thanks for responding again. It won't turn on, same thing as before. It was working then it froze & the screen went black but could still hear the fan then once the fan stopped nothing comes on except the charging light.

They didn't say what was wrong but this is what they wrote on their Repair Report "Replaced the Mainboard & Battery, Installed factory OS. Tested unit booting and working properly."

I've submitted a new repair report but they haven't responded yet! Do you think I'd get a better result if I call them? I'm a Retired Widow & just don't have the funds to keep mailing it back to them! I'm fairly comfortable working on solutions but this has me stumped! What is the possibility of having a 2nd defective Mainboard or Batteries in a row, although, you had said last time that this is a known problem with the CP713-2W-36LV? Is the Mainboard the same as a Motherboard?

Sorry for all the questions but what do you suggest? Thanks, Susan

• Susandawn

I can't believe it that after at least 25 x's of trying to restart the tablet it finally turned on except now the screen says that I have to insert a SD Card or USB stick which I don't have. Shouldn't I be able to sign on without as I used to? Thanks again, Susan

• DCA
    DCA Member Posts: 1 New User

I'm right there with everybody on this thread and can't seem to get resolution. I have had my 713 for less than two years and have already had to send it back twice to have the same 'ol "Replaced the Mainboard & Battery, Installed factory OS. Tested unit booting and working properly." I don't want to send it back a third time at this point because I have to pay for shipping and shipping materials every time and they clearly aren't addressing the problem. There's no way to contact Acer and actually speak to someone and I tried their non-warranty customer service this morning and he quoted me between 400-600 because it was out of warranty. Seriously?!?

Acer clearly won't stand by their products and now I've turned into the type of keyboard warrior that I hate, but I've been left no other option but to rant which I know will do me no good in the end, but when you spend hundreds of dollars on a product and another over 100 in repairs/shipping costs it's really demoralizing to have no resolution and a company that could just care less.

• Susandawn

So what do we do? If Acer doesn't stand behind their products then we should warn others?

I finally got my screen on but shouldn't have t press esc., refresh & power every time!

Now my screen wants me to insert a USB or Sim card. I don't have either & don't want to spend anymore if it won't work.

I should be able to go to the main screen but can't! I'm, like you, extremely frustrated! Thanks, Susan

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    edited December 2022

Sounds more like a Google/Chrome problem. Did you try here ?

ps Do you know what Model  kled-qygu c5b-ah-b5q-64d-y7d means - is on bottom of error scream.

• Susandawn

Hi yes the bottom of the screen says KLED-QYGU C5B- A2H-B5Q- 64D-Y7D .

But that's not the only problem as the screen now won't stay on longer than 5 seconds & to turn the screen back on everytime I still have to press Escape, Refresh & Power!

How can that be a Google/Chrome problem? I was able to check out the Chromebook Recovery site you sent me but I can't do anything because the screen turns off too quickly! What do you suggest?

Thanks Susan

• billsey
    Answer ✓

It sounds like the drive has failed. The lower end versions of the ÇP713-2W models use an eMMC drive soldered to the mainboard, which is why they replaced the board on the initial repair. You are just unlucky in that the second one failed too. Keep trying to contact them, they might be a little swamped with the holidays, and get them to fix it again.