CXI4 Motherboard issue- after starting up it immediately shuts down

UserAbroad2022
UserAbroad2022 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2022 in Chromebooks

I bought a used CXI4 (or maybe CXl4 or CX14) in January. It went along pretty well for a while but then recently it developed an issue where soon after starting up it immediately shuts down. I tried a different power cord, powerwashed it and also reinstalled software from USB. The warranty check shows the warranty expired in April. Although I'm from the US I live in Taiwan and actually took it to the Acer repair store in Xinyi district Taipei. They said they don't sell this model and only reluctantly looked at it. After apparently inspecting it they told me that they believe it's a motherboard problem but that they can't service it here. (They didn't charge me anything at least, which was nice.)

I am willing to send it back to the US or to order parts. Here are my questions:

1. Has any body done a repair on something like this or is there a place that would repair this?
  2. Do you have any additional diagnostic device?
  3. I also have the CXI3, so I guess if the motherboard is shot I am wondering if any of the hardware is backward compatible (could I salvage the memory, ssd, or cpu)?

Thank you for any help you can provide. I have also wondered if it could be something else. My power button doesn't actually depress. I just swipe my finger across it and it turns on. I've never seen another one so I don't know if this is normal.

[Edited the thread to add the title and issue detail] 

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,621 Trailblazer

It is an I rather than a 1... They have different motherboards depending on the CPU that is installed and the drive size, since the eMMC drive is soldered to the MB. Which CPU and drive does yours have? We can get you a part number, then you can search for what's available to you... It's not that difficult to replace. The CXI3 is a much older model (7th gen vs. 10th gen) and essentially none of the parts are interchangeable.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.