Acer Spin CP713-2w-5874 Chromebook screen went black. Resetting isn’t fixing it

JohnBK
JohnBK Member Posts: 7 New User
edited November 2022 in Chromebooks

Screen went black. Resetting isn’t fixing it. Am I doing it wrong? Holding down refresh key and tapping power? cp713-2w-5874

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer

What happens when your press and hold bigger sunkey?

Jack E/NJ

• JohnBK

Nothing. That was one of the first things I tried.

• JackE

Any signs of screen activity when your first turn it on?

Jack E/NJ

• JohnBK

Not that I can detect. But I suspect a software issue because the screen came on, I inserted my SD card reader and the screen went black. So I need to figure out how to reset it.

• JackE

>>>But I suspect a software issue because the screen came on>>>

Not necessarily. Sounds more like a loose LCD video cable. What happens when you HDMI out to a TV screen?

Jack E/NJ

• JohnBK

It works on an external monitor.

• JohnBK

So if it works on an external monitor that rules out a software problem, and it’s definitely a cable or screen problem?

• JackE

OK. Either the video cable connectors are loose or need to be reseated to help clean contacts. Another possibility is broken video cable conductors/wires in the hinge area from wear and tear of opening and closing the lid too much. Replacement video cables are usually pretty cheap Less than $30usd. Google search 'cp713-2w' & 'disassembly' for videos on what you'd be up against replacing it or re-seating its connectors on the mainboard and bottom of the screen.

Jack E/NJ

• JohnBK

Thanks JackE!

• JackE

Good luck in tearing it apart. Then putting it back together again! 🙂

Jack E/NJ

• JohnBK

I’ll probably find someone to do that for me.

• JackE

Yeah, I often say that too. But then I feel bad about not trying to tackle it myself. And then feel bad again when I get the labor bill. And if I did try to tackle it, I'm in constant fear of causing collateral damage even worse than what I started with. A no-win no-win no-win sorta thing.

Jack E/NJ

• munsama
    munsama Member Posts: 2 New User

Any update on this? My Spin CP713-2w-5874 also went black screen in miduse. I actually got the replacement video cable and swapped it but still no good.

Could it be LCD itself?

• JackE

You might want to try to HDMI out to a TV screen to rule in or rule out a graphics adapter failure. If you can't get the TV screen to work, then it's likely the graphics has failed., not screen.

Jack E/NJ

• munsama
    munsama Member Posts: 2 New User

Oh yea, forgot to mention that external monitors/HDMI is working. Using it right now

• JackE

Still might be the mainboard & screen video connectors rather than the screen or video cable itself. You might want to dip a Q-stick swab in rubbing alcohol and gently try to clean the accessible gold colored contacts.

Jack E/NJ

• thierry2023
    thierry2023 Member Posts: 1 New User

I have the 2020 acer spin 713 chromebook, the screen got white streaks and then all black and won't turn on anymore. Works with hdmi on external screen. I bought the video cable and the screen is still black

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

Sounds like the display itself went south. :( Most often issues like that are the cable, but sometimes they aren't… Three years old is really early for a failure like that though.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Katnbob
    Katnbob Member Posts: 1 New User

Exact same thing going on with my acer spin cp713-2w -5874 model n19q5. 3 yr old. Is this a defect. Is it worth getting fixed? Is acer worth buying again

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

It depends on the cause of the symptoms. As shown in the thread there are a few things that can give you a black screen. Have you tested with an external monitor?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.