P03-630 - Can't Install Windows 11 2H22 Has 2H22 had a full rollout yet?

Doomotron
Doomotron Member Posts: 21 Troubleshooter
edited November 2022 in Windows 11

For the past month I have been trying to install the 2H22 update for Windows 11. Every day I press check for update but 2H22 hasn't appeared for me yet. Has 2H22 had a full rollout yet? I read that Microsoft were blocking the update temporarily for some devices due to potential stability problems but for a PC that is effectively brand new and still being sold surely this shouldn't be an issue?

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer

Microsoft seems to be pushing the update nice and slowly for a lot of models. You can always do a forced update but it's safest to just wait for them to get around to it.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Doomotron

That's reassuring. I checked the registry and there aren't any flags for my computer so hopefully it is just a Microsoft issue. And with the bugs 2H22 has it might be a blessing in disguise while they're being fixed.

• billsey

Yeah, up to a point it's safest to be one of the last to get a pushed update. :)

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,687 Trailblazer
    edited November 2022

Your PO3-630 should have no problems running Win-11 22H2 version, as this OS and your PO3-630s TPM security and CPU specs are compatible with your desktop and should run 100% on your PC.

The 22H2 update has been rolled out since 21/‎09/‎2022 and its latest OS build is the 22621.755, don’t worry about waiting and getting this MS update with Windows Update, go to the MS page and use the Windows 11 Installation Assistant > Download Now and run that scan as that will update your Win-11 to the version 22H2 and OS build 22621.755. 

• Doomotron

I have Windows 11 installed with some detailed settings changes and registry tweaks - will using the installation assistant reset these. Just as importantly, will this format any hard drives or edit the program file folders? Will it delete any drivers? I have some games that aren't supported on Windows 11 but miraculously work on it and if it changes around drivers it could break the games and make the computer effectively useless for me.

• billsey

It won't affect your data or apps, but might reset registry tweaks to normal. The tweaks could also be part of the reason it's not being offered to you, depending on what they do.

• Doomotron

Does anyone know what the size requirement of the update is? I have 61GB free on the C drive. If that isn't the issue then I'm almost certainly that it's a glitch. I can get other updates like cumulative ones just not this. The classic Windows self-destruction continues...

It's 40 minutes from December and this update came out in September, no way is this a compatibility issue or it would have been documented by now - searching for this issue leads directly to this thread, so my model of PC definitely isn't the issue.

• billsey

61GB should be plenty for the update, but it means your system drive must be awfully full. I have a lot of junk on my laptop and have well over 200GB free. What size drive do you have on your Predator, usually those are much larger than laptops...

• Doomotron

256GB. There isn't much on it actually other than Windows itself, most of my files are spread across two other drives which are 3TB in total.

• billsey

Close to 200GB used isn't just Windows. You might run Disk Cleanup and see what it says. Click on the Cleanup System Files option. My guess is it has a lot of W10 stuff still in Windows.old and plenty of installed updates still in SoftwareDistribution...

• Doomotron

Actually I'm pretty certain the large size is taken up by the paging file, as I have certain games which need unusually large paging files to be stable. I'm using the recommended size for the game I'm playing (although there are different recommendations). There is also no chance of Windows 10 being there since the PC came with Windows 11 from new.

• billsey

Yes, though a 200GB paging file is just silly... If an application (game or otherwise) needs 200GB of memory to run right it's very, very poorly written. :( Try setting the page back to automatic, reboot and then retry to update. You can always put the page back afterwards.

• Doomotron

Don't worry, the paging file isn't 200GB - although the game in question is very badly written.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    edited December 2022

I just set mine to 1.5GB to start and 2GB Max. Personally would not go over 4GB. Otherwise is liable to spend all of its time swapping.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    edited December 2022

Interesting. When I get bored I often build another computer. Prices have dropped dramatically & have A Bunch of parts on hand. Took a mini case, power supply with SATA connectors, B450 Aorus Pro MB, 16 GB of DDR4, and a speedy Acer 480GB SSD (ob. Acer).

Used Rufus to make SSD UEFI.

Assembled with a AMD Ryzen 3 1200 I had lying around (been using AMD stuff since an 8087 chip) & installed Win 10. Once everything checked out I linked to my MS account, swapped the 1200 for a Ryzen 5 4600G (was on sale and also AM4). On checkout found I had to enable the TPM in the Bios. On boot went to update and was immediately offered Win 11 22H2 & is installing now.

When done wll use a 16gb mini SD ($15 for 5) to make a recover drive and tape to case.

Am I just lucky ? Been just throwing parts together for years.

ps helps to use thermal paste on the cpu/fan and not cement. 4 screws hold in place & makes easy to swap CPUs. Just a little dab will do you.