Acer CP311-3H series volume rocket partially functioning

Archervet
Archervet Member Posts: 4 New User
edited October 2022 in Chromebooks

When I open the chromebook (to wake up) I notice the volume icon always increases to max volume. The two volume keys on the keyboard will rise or lower the volume icon. The right side volume rocket switch will only decrease the volume, it will not increase the volume at all. The rocket switch fails in tablet and laptop mode. Is this a common issue and is there a fix? Thanks

Answers

• Archervet

When I open the chromebook (to wake up) I notice the volume icon always increases to max volume. The two volume keys on the keyboard will rise or lower the volume icon. The right side volume rocket switch will only decrease the volume, it will not increase the volume at all. The rocket switch fails in tablet and laptop mode. Is this a common issue and is there a fix? Thanks

• This has to do with the OS audio driver which also relates to Chrome OS. Do a factory reset your Chromebook as that should fix this problem, its got nothing to do with the right-side Volume button.

• Archervet

Thank you for the reply. I performed a Powerwash and checked for ChromeOS updates. My current Version is 106.0.5249.134 (Official Build) (32-bit)

in stable channel. The problem was not corrected.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer

The rocker switch itself might be stuck or there might be a problem with that board or the ribbon cable that connects it to the motherboard. Does the USB port near there work fine? Here's an image showing how the two boards connect:

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Archervet

Thanks for replying, I was able to remove the the cover and inspect the ribbon cable. After lifting the black portion to unlock the connection, I reseated each end of the cable an relock the connection down. This seems to correct the issue. The volume rocker works as it should.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer

Good to know, did anything look like the cable had pulled loose? If so you might try taping it in place to supplement the latch mechanism.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.