WINDOWS BOOT MANAGER ONLY OPTION AFTER INSTALLING NEW HD

Johnnydenny
Johnnydenny Member Posts: 2 New User

HI ALL, I PURCHASED A Acer Predator Orion (i7-12700F/16Gb/512Gb SSD + 1Tb HDD/RTX 3060/WIN11) I INSTALLED A NEW SSD HD AND ALL I SEE WHEN I TRY AND BOOT FROM IT IS WINDOWS BOOT MANAGER. I TRY AND CHANGE THE BOOT PRIORITY BUT AGAIN THE ONLY OPTION I HAVE IS WINDOWS BOOT MANAGER. I HAVE TURNED OFF SECURE BOOT , I EVEN PUT A SUPERVISOR PASS WORD IN, I REBOOTED MANY TIMES BUT STILL CAN NOT BOOT FROM MY NEW DRIVE IT WILL NOT SEE IT, DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAY I NEED TO DO TO GET IT TO SEE THE NEW DRIVE? THANKS. JD

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Yes that is all normal. You don't choose the boot device in the BIOS, you let Windows Boot Manager do that with the F12 boot menu. You might have to allow the boot menu in the BIOS. You also need to have an OS installed with it's associated EFI partition in order for the new drive to be bootable. Did you clone the old drive to the new one, or did you do a clean install on the new drive?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• Johnnydenny
    Johnnydenny Member Posts: 2 New User

MORE DETAIL. THE NEW DRIVE IS A SAMSUNG EVO 870 500G IT HAS A FRESH COPY OF WINDOWS 10 ON IT, I SHOULD BE ABLE TO SWITCH BACK AND FORTH ON START UP AND SELECT THE DRIVE TO USE. RIGHT?. I CAN SEE THE DRIVES IN DATA MANAGER ON MY OS WINDOWS 11 SSD MODULE, THE ONE THAT CAME WITH THE COMPUTER. . IT IS THERE , I JUST CANT GET THE SYSTEM TO BOOT FROM IT , ITS NOT LISTED IN THE BOOT PRIORITY MENU OR WHEN I TRY AND CHANGE THE BOOT ORDER SO I CAN BOOT FROM IT. WINDOWS BOOT MANAGER IS ALL I SEE. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED, THANKS

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Yes that is all normal. You don't choose the boot device in the BIOS, you let Windows Boot Manager do that with the F12 boot menu. You might have to allow the boot menu in the BIOS. You also need to have an OS installed with it's associated EFI partition in order for the new drive to be bootable. Did you clone the old drive to the new one, or did you do a clean install on the new drive?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Also, you need to check if the ssd is converted to gpt. The vmd controller also tends to get in the way a lot. There is another problem: it said that the ssd already had windows 10 installed. This could be the cause of the problem, as different computers have different drivers and drives.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :)