Can I fix the lost display issue on my Spin 713CP713-2W-5874?

NealR2000
NealR2000 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited October 2022 in Chromebooks

My unit is 18-months old and therefore out of warranty. The display died on me yesterday. I am able to use my unit by connecting it via a HDMI cable to an external display. I therefore know that the issue is the already well documented connection to the unit's display.

Being that my unit is out of warranty, is there any way that I can repair it myself?

[Edited the title to add model name ]

Answers

• What is the exact model? Example SP713-71-5890.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • NealR2000

Sorry. It's a CP713-2W-5874

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer

There are really two possibilities, the eDP cable as you suggest or a bad display. Here is a picture of the cable where it connects to the motherboard:

On the LCD side of things, this is a picture of the cable connection:

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • NealR2000

Opened up the unit. These connectors are definitely seated. I disconnected them and rejoined them just to make sure. No change.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer

So the next step is likely to cost some money, but hopefully not too much. Replace the eDP cable with Acer part number 50.HQBN7.007. If the cable is the problem (more likely than not) that will fix it. If the cable isn't the problem it's likely the display itself, which usually isn't worth replacing. The last possibility is a bad motherboard, but since the external display does work it's very unlikely to be the issue...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • did you disconnect the edp cable on the display too?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :)