Acer Spin 713 Screen suddenly malfunctioning?!

rrodp94
rrodp94 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited November 2021 in Chromebooks
Hi there 👋.

I've had my Acer Spin 713 for over a year, and I love it.

I use it for almost everything.

BUT. I was simply browsing the web today when the laptop's Display started malfunctioning.

As you can see, the more I use it, the worse the display gets.

It's a hardware issue, as it works just fine when I connect it to an external monitor.

Can this be fixed? Or this means I'll have to get a new device?

I'd really appreciate the help 🙏

Answers

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi @rrodp94,

Check for updates yourself

1. Turn on your Chromebook.
    2. Connect your Chromebook to Wi-Fi.
    3. At the bottom right, select the time.
    4. Select Settings .
    5. At the bottom of the left panel, select About Chrome OS.
    6. Under "Google Chrome OS," you'll find which version of the Chrome operating system your Chromebook uses.
    7. Select Check for updates.
    8. If your Chromebook finds a software update, it will start to download automatically.​
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Do the symptoms change when you move the screen? It's often the case that the cable that runs between the motherboard and display can start getting internal cracks due to the flexing it receives each time you open or close the laptop. It's pretty early for you to be seeing that, but it's one of the easiest things to test for...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • rrodp94

Tinkerer

Easwar said:
    Hi @rrodp94,

Check for updates yourself

1. Turn on your Chromebook.
    2. Connect your Chromebook to Wi-Fi.
    3. At the bottom right, select the time.
    4. Select Settings .
    5. At the bottom of the left panel, select About Chrome OS.
    6. Under "Google Chrome OS," you'll find which version of the Chrome operating system your Chromebook uses.
    7. Select Check for updates.
    8. If your Chromebook finds a software update, it will start to download automatically.​
    Hello there 👋

I updated the device, and the screen is still malfunctioning.

Any ideas? 
  • rrodp94

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    Do the symptoms change when you move the screen? It's often the case that the cable that runs between the motherboard and display can start getting internal cracks due to the flexing it receives each time you open or close the laptop. It's pretty early for you to be seeing that, but it's one of the easiest things to test for...
    I know, right.

And no. The screen doesn't change if I move it.

I feel disappointed. It happened 20 days after the warranty expired.

Any ideas? 🤔
  • plateaupl
    plateaupl Member Posts: 1 New User
    The display on my Acer Spin 713 died completely on 11/12/21.  It only works if I connect it to an external monitor.  So now it is a desktop which is quite inconvenient.  I did a power wash, and that helped for an hour or so, and then the display died again.
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
  • rrodp94

Tinkerer

plateaupl said:
    The display on my Acer Spin 713 died completely on 11/12/21.  It only works if I connect it to an external monitor.  So now it is a desktop which is quite inconvenient.  I did a power wash, and that helped for an hour or so, and then the display died again.
    That's awful.

I just powerwashed mine, and the screen is still the same.

I could use it with an external monitor, and since it works just fine, the motherboard and the rest of the laptop are fine, I suppose?
  • RJZ
    RJZ Member Posts: 1 New User

I believe this is happening as well to my Acer Chromebook 713 Spin 10th gen, so it is not an isolated incident.

One night, I was doing some light reading, and all was fine.

The next morning, i was shocked to find my screen graying out and glitching randomly in a grid like fashion upon opening it, and then it began to clear up by itself, until it eventually clears up a little and shows horizontal lines on the top of the screen, similar to the OP's first screenshot of the malfunction.

This is now how the Chromebook 'behaves' upon opening, since this has started happening.

I noticed no resolution was reached in this case, and this is quite frustrating 🙁

Any help is greatly appreciated

• Mark63
    Mark63 Member Posts: 1 New User

I started seeing this yesterday on my 15 month old Acer 713 spin 10th gen. I get random lines and the screen starts to wash out. Very much like the original posters image. Tried a powerwash but that didn't help. Seems like a graphics hardware issue.

• NealR2000
    NealR2000 Member Posts: 4 New User

Mine went today. The warranty expired about 4 months ago. Can this be fixed?

• Fern6786
    Fern6786 Member Posts: 1 New User

So it would seem this is a thing that happens. I guess there was no resolution? This is happening to me now. Our of the blue, and a day after raving how much I love it. I desperately need it fixed asap, so any help would be appreciated. It's a spin 713-2w, the touch screen still works. I didn't leave it running because I was worried it would worsen

• anawilliam850
    anawilliam850 Member Posts: 56 Devotee WiFi Icon

Mine went two days ago and the warranty expired about 1 month ago. Does anyone know if this can be fixed?

• kyabblu
    kyabblu Member Posts: 2 New User

I've had mine for about 2 years, and the screen started doing this yesterday as well. I've heard from others that it's a faulty screen ribbon or connection. I have no idea how to go about fixing that though. Mine is out of warranty as well.

• mamones
    mamones Member Posts: 1 New User

I have a Swift SF313-53, bought in 2021, outside the warranty year, and I have the same problem. Has anyone found a solution? Is it possible to repair it? Or, the only solution is to use it with an external monitor?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

A Swift is a very different beast than the 713 Chromebook Spin models, you don't have the 360 degree hinges the Spins have. Start a new thread for your issue in the Swift section and we'll take a look at it there. If you are seeing similar artifacts as the original post here include a picture showing them and be sure to include the full model number in your post. My initial guess is the eDP cable is either bad or has corroded contacts on the connectors. Both are fairly repairable.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.