Linux in chromebook - asking for password while installing in Acer Spin 714 Chromebook CP714-1WN

Doreps
Doreps Member Posts: 8 New User
edited October 2022 in Chromebooks

Acer Spin 714 Chromebook (2022 - CP714-1WN)

Installed the Linux Edge browser (beta) successfully (quite automated). When installing a Brother Linux print/scanner driver the process was command line but the system asked for a password. Don't remember ever giving a p/w on the first Linux install.

I'm no Linux expert, so any suggestions or directions. Thanks.

[Thread was edited to add model name to the title and to include the topic issue]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer

>>>Don't remember ever giving a p/w on the first Linux install.>>>

The first Linux install might've asked if you wanted the system to remember the log-in pw. And if you answered yes, then the log-in is all it's gonna remember the pw for. But for just about anything else that can affect the system, a package installer is gonna want that same pw. So try to remember harder. 🙂

Jack E/NJ

• Doreps

Thanks for the quick reply ... with the bad news .

It's a new computer, guess Google will remember a lot of the settings and apps installed, so I could just power wash and start over. Your thoughts?

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 Ally Posts: 4,044

@Doreps

If you would like to do the power wash on your chromebook follow the steps given below

Try to do a chrome reset on your chromebook  

open chrome

click on three dots on top right corner 

click on settings

Scroll down - go to advanced

click on restore setting to default

you will see reset settings - cancel

click on reset settings 

Close the chrome and open it It should work fine.. 

If it is still not working.. 

We need to do a power wash on your chrome book.  

Restart the chromebook.

On the login screen please don’t type the password.

Hold the Ctrl key + shift key + alt key on keyboard and then press the letter r once

It will show “Reset this pc”

Click on power wash and continue.. 

Please understand it will clear the local and user settings.. 

Please complete the final setup.. 

Connnect to wifi and type the wifi password

Login to chromebook with your regular password

It should work fine ..

If it is still not working

Kindly follow the details from the link given below.  It will show you how to perform a hard reset. 

https://community.acer.com/en/kb/articles/496-reinstall-powerwash-the-chrome-os

Once the hard reset is completed try to check whether it is working fine by connecting to wireless.   If it is not connecting to a wifi at your home please try to connect to a wifi in a different place or try to go to a hot spot and try to connect to a different wifi and check. 

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• JackE

>>>>It's a new computer, guess Google>>>

How new?

Jack E/NJ

• Doreps

Acer Spin 714 Chromebook (2022 - CP714-1WN) - got it 9/22/22

I did power wash, but then again turned on Linux development and again needed a password in the command line process when entering su. I'm stuck. Posted also in the Google Chromebook community no reset. Previously Edge browser (beta) installed automatically with it's executable, but Brother's drivers are command line.

• JackE

Try your google account pw.

Jack E/NJ

• Doreps

After typing su it replies

Password:

but does not allow any keyboard entry.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,438 Trailblazer

The keyboard entry for a password is not echoed to the screen, so it looks like you aren't typing anything. Don't use su, use sudo.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JackE

>>>After typing su it replies>>>

If you're at the terminal prompt, what is the full command line syntax that are you trying to run?

Jack E/NJ

• Doreps

First, thanks for your help.

gzip linux-brprinter-installer-*.*.*-*.gz

(Get superuser authorization with the "su" command or "sudo su" command)

bash linux-brprinter-installer-*.*.*-* DCP-L2540DW

The driver installation will start. Follow the installation screen directions.

• JackE

>>>"sudo su">>>

Yes. Then simply enter your google pw when it asks for it. Sudo su default behavior is as @billsey suggests, no asterisk feedback. You can change that behavior. But why bother?

Jack E/NJ

• billsey

Yes, your first command should work fine bu itself, no superuser needed when in your home directory. The second should start with "sudo bash..." and it will ask for your Google password to continue.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Doreps

billsey - Thanks for sticking with me.

Following your above comment I received the following Linux responses ... Linux does not appear to see the file or says its binary. Any suggestions

sudo bash linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.3-1

bash: linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.3-1: No such file or directory

sudo bash linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.3-1.gz

linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.3-1.gz: linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.3-1.gz: cannot execute binary file

file linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.3-1.gz

linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.3-1.gz: gzip compressed data, was "linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.3-1", last modified: Fri Jul 16 06:33:16 2021, from Unix, original size modulo 2^32 143001

• JackE

>>>Acer Spin 714 Chromebook (2022 - CP714-1WN)>>>Installed the Linux Edge browser (beta) successfully (quite automated>>>

Something is wrong with this machine if you've done a factory reset. I'm not sure if the Edge beta is the cause. But it should NOT involve this level of complication to install a Brother printer. Accordingly, I suggest that you return it to the vendor as defective for a refund or exchange if still within the vendor's return merchandise authorization (RMA) period. Usually a few weeks. Otherwise, if it was mine I'd probably arrange for Acer warranty repair.

Jack E/NJ

• Doreps

One last question.

Do you have any experience or knowledge with using Crossover for ChromeOS?

• JackE

Yep. Use a version of it everyday on a PC. It's called the WINE overlay for Linux. Works better on a PC than on a chromebook.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey

Your installer is a compressed file made up of all the pieces needed to install the drivers. Hence the ".gz" at the end. You first have to extract the files from it, then run the installer itself. This is pretty basic Linux stuff... Are you sure you want to run Linux instead of just using the Chromebook as a Chromebook? :)

Anyway, if you are in the shell and in your home directory you should be able to extract using:

gunzip linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.3-1.gz

Next you will have to look in the folder that gunzip created (linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.3-1) to see which file needs to be executed to do the install. It's likely to be named something like linux-brprinter-install.sh and you will install it like this:

sudo ./linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.3-1/linux-brprinter-install.sh

Let us know how well that works.

• Doreps

Again, a big Thanks to JackE and billsey for their offering of assistance.

Update: No change with frustration. Using gunzip on the downloaded installer (linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.3-1.gz) creates a file linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.3-1, not a directory. Terminal says to file or directory found. My Files app shows install-type text.

My support request to Brother for their driver install resulted in NO support since ChromeOS Linux is not standard Linux.

I have made a request in Reddit's sub r/ChromeOS (https://www.reddit.com/r/chromeos/comments/y0jfvy/help_what_printers_work_in_linux_on_chromebooks/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android_app&utm_name=androidcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button)for any successful installs of a laser printer. Hopefully, the responses will not be expensive alternatives.

Thanks again.

• billsey

Can you give us a link to the Brother installer gzip file? I can take a look at it from this side...