[AN515-45] Acer Care Centre & Nitrosense Not Working

zixxty
zixxty Member Posts: 3 New User

Hello.

Noticed my Nitrosense was not working when my keyboard backlights defaulted to red, Nitrosense button stopped working and fan speed control wasn't available. Uninstalled and redownloaded from Acer Support website, extracted and tried to run setup.exe but the installation fails every time with no error code or reasoning.

After digging deeper, discovered Acer Care Centre is running in the system tray but is also unable to open. I tried to uninstall this but the uninstallation fails preventing me from reinstalling files from Acer Support.

After a bit of research this seems to be a semi-common issue with none of the fixes found online working for me. I contacted Acer (still within warranty) and they've told me I need to send my laptop off for repair. I'm apprehensive to do this for obvious reasons and want to try and sort this myself but not sure what else to do without exacerbating the problem further.

What I've tried so far;

• Removing & reinstalling both programmes, ACC will not uninstall, Nitrosense is currently uninstalled and will not reinstall.
  • Installing the APPX Files (x64 only) and APPXBUNDLE Files from Nitrosense & Acer Care Centre installation folders.
  • Running Admin CMD Prompt with .\lodctr.exe /R which completed successfully but issues remained.

Best Answer

• zixxty
    Answer ✓

Thanks for the advice. I was hesitant to try this as I had a lot of stuff set up on this laptop already and dread the resetting.

Thought I'd update after attempting however; I tried resetting with keeping personal information first because.. Why not. I set up NitroSense and Care Centre straight away after the reset before anything else and it is now working! I followed up with all Windows updates and apparently I am up to date with NitroSense and Care Centre still working.

Worth noting for anyone else troubleshooting, I did download and keep the .zip files of both NS and CC prior to the reset and the first thing I did upon reset was run setup.exe on both to update to the latest versions. This was then followed by outstanding windows updates. I now seem to have full functionality of everything.

Acer were adamant that I'd need to send my laptop off to them for assessment, but since software issues are not covered by warranty this would have meant a £50 return postage charge plus whatever the cost of the 'repair' would have been. Absolutely no advice or technical help was offered, don't waste your time contacting them for this issue.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,462 Trailblazer

>>>After a bit of research this seems to be a semi-common issue with none of the fixes found online working for me.>>>

Agreed. Still unresolved in another more recent similar NitroSense thread here. https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/670688/rgb-keyboard-lights-option-not-available-in-nitro-sense-please-help-an517-41

I'm about to recommend in that earlier thread to back up all personal files and do a full erase everything ALT+F10 factory reset while disconnected from the internet. Then see if the factory nitrosense RGB and other controls are back to normal. If so, then open Control Panel restore point app to make sure System Protection is turned on. Then re-connect to the internet and allow the automatic updates to proceed. Then if/when NitroSense gets messed up again, the restore point app may identify the errant update culprit. I think it might be an optional update which I usually stay away from allowing on my machine.

Jack E/NJ

• zixxty
    Answer ✓

Thanks for the advice. I was hesitant to try this as I had a lot of stuff set up on this laptop already and dread the resetting.

Thought I'd update after attempting however; I tried resetting with keeping personal information first because.. Why not. I set up NitroSense and Care Centre straight away after the reset before anything else and it is now working! I followed up with all Windows updates and apparently I am up to date with NitroSense and Care Centre still working.

Worth noting for anyone else troubleshooting, I did download and keep the .zip files of both NS and CC prior to the reset and the first thing I did upon reset was run setup.exe on both to update to the latest versions. This was then followed by outstanding windows updates. I now seem to have full functionality of everything.

Acer were adamant that I'd need to send my laptop off to them for assessment, but since software issues are not covered by warranty this would have meant a £50 return postage charge plus whatever the cost of the 'repair' would have been. Absolutely no advice or technical help was offered, don't waste your time contacting them for this issue.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,462 Trailblazer

Congrats. 🙂 Thanks for reporting back. Make sure System Protection is turned on in Control Panel's restore point app. A reset often turns it off.

Jack E/NJ

• zixxty

Absolutely, first thing I did was establish a good restore point by re-downloading my usual apps, turned protection back on and made restore points before and after the Windows updates. Still all seems to be working well! I'm sure an update will pop up soon to mess it all up again though!