CP514-1H-R2BY Wi-fi issues

Oateseyra
Oateseyra Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited August 2022 in Chromebooks

I recently purchased a Chromebook Spin 514. Model Number CP514-1H-R2BY. OS Version Version 104.0.5112.105

It contantly drops the internet connection even though the icon in the tooltray suggests it is connected and the signal is strong.

I don't have issues with any other devices, phones, old Chromebook and a laptop

I've tried the 514 at another location, to try and rule out my hardware but it was the same

New thread following on from https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/663863/internet-issues-with-chromebook-514?breakffcache=b58c3 as advised

[Thread was edited to add model name to the title]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,444 Trailblazer

I suggest sending a personal message directly to @SurrealStoic to see if his issue was ever resolved.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,647 Trailblazer

Does it act differently when you move it very close to the router? If one of the antennas has come loose from the WLAN card it could act flaky.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Oateseyra

Tinkerer

I have sent a message to @SurrealStoic, thanks @JackE

@billsey. Moving closer to the router makes no difference. I've have contacted Virgin who say there are no issues with the wi-fi from their side.

I use a laptop for work when working from home and have no issues with that so I'm leaning towards an issue with the Chromebook itself.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,647 Trailblazer

Sounds like you are looking in the right direction. The antenna thing doesn't happen often, but it can be really frustrating when it does.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JackE

>>>It con[s]tantly drops the internet connection even though the icon in the tooltray suggests it is connected and the signal is strong.>>>

It might actually be very brief momentary signal loss between the chromebook & router/modem that's causing the issue. Not long enough duration to affect tray rf signal icon and line id assigned to it. But long enough to tell the router/modem to cut/free up the it's assigned access line or gateway to the internal.

Try this. Next time the internet connection is lost, stop whatever you're doing. Don't shut off, physically move or disturb the chromebook. Then power off the router/modem. Then turn router/modem back on and wait a few minutes to let it re-assign its rf line to the chromebook and re-establish it's access line to the internet. Then see if the undisturbed chromebook now has internet access again.

Jack E/NJ

• Oateseyra

Tinkerer

Thanks @JackE but have reset the Chromebook and packed it up ready to return it.

• JackE

OK. Good luck.

Jack E/NJ

• Samuel-Acer
    Samuel-Acer Moderator Posts: 687 Moderator

Hi Oateseyra,

We are sorry for the inconvinience caused to you.

If you have not sent the unit for return yet. i would you to change few settings in the router. Baciscally allowing the number of units to be connected to sepcific Wi-Fi.

Hope this helps you find a solution.

Regards,

Acer-Samuel

• Oateseyra

Tinkerer

@Acer-Samuel The unit is ready to return but currently still here. It would be great to sort the issue. I have a Hub 3.0 Virgin Router. It claims there are 8 devices attached through wi-fi and 2 are hard wired. It's on 2.4 and 5 GHz. I'm not seeing an option to increase the number of connections. From what I read it's unlimited.

• JackE

Sorry, less than 100% chance that any suggestions will work. And 0% chance if none are tried. 😉

Jack E/NJ