Power Button Actions (SP513-54N)

CapDom
CapDom Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
edited September 2022 in Acer Software

How can I make my display turn off when I press the power button on my Spin 5 convertible (SP513-54N)?

I read I should be able to do it from Acer Quick Access Panel, but there is no options for that on mine.

That choice is not present in the Windows 11 Power Options Panel either, but I read from Microsoft that I should be able to do it (like in Windows 10).

Alternatively, I know there is a media key just for that on my machine, but it is not reachable when the computer is in tablet mode (keyboard inactive)

Please tell me if it's an other Windows 11 incompatibility problem (like the loss of my camera and microphone array), or what?

( edited the title to add the model name )

Answers

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,717 Pathfinder

@CapDom do you have this option in quick access?

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • CapDom

No, as you can see for yourself:

• AnhEZ28

@CapDom then try to go to Regedit, with location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\OEM\Quick Access. Change the Powerbuttonsupport value to 1

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
  • CapDom

And for the next question:

• AnhEZ28

@CapDom just choose either Do Nothing or Sleep.

• CapDom

Thanks for your answers, but what I need to do is to Turn off Display with the Power Button...

I will try the Regedit trick just now...

• AnhEZ28

@CapDom yep, try to change that value so that the Power button setting shows up in Quick access. It will let you turn off the display with the power button.

• CapDom
    edited August 2022

Thanks @AnhEZ28

The option did show up once after changing Regedit Value, but nothing happens when clicking on SETTINGS in the Quick Access Panel, and diseapeared again after reboot...

How should I log in to gain permission to change Regedit value over reboot?

Choices stay the same in Windows Power Options even after the Regedit value change...

Should I also change the Power Plan to BALANCED instead of ACER?

• AnhEZ28

@CapDom I see. Maybe your model doesn't support this feature in Quick Access. https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/3-quickest-ways-turn-computer-screen-windows/

Try to follow that post by navigating to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Power and create DWORD (32-bit) named CsEnabled. Change the value to 1. You should see the Turn off the Display option appears.

• AnhEZ28

@CapDom you can change to Balanced power plan if you want to. I don't notice many differences.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer

You can turn off the display with the F6 or Fn-F6 button. No need to try and tweak the registry to add functions that aren't enabled by default.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • CapDom

Thanks, but I need to be able able to turn my display off when in Tablet Mode, where the physical keyboard isn't available.

• CapDom

Thanks, tried this Regedit MOD but still does not work. *****.

I need to be able to manually turn my display off in tablet mode, but there is no way ;(

• AnhEZ28

@CapDom then you might have to use apps or scripts to turn off the screen manually https://www.maketecheasier.com/turn-off-windows-screen/