Windows 11 compatibility issue, or hardware obsolescence? Spin 5 (SP513-54N)

CapDom
CapDom Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
edited September 2022 in Acer Software

Why is my camera and microphone array gone after Windows 11 upgrade?

Why is Acer Quick Access Panel not showing much of my Acer Spin 5 functions?

Why is Acer Care Center never shows any update since I bought this Spin 5 (SP513-54N) computer (still same v1.10 Bios version)?

Why is this model in the compatibility list for Windows 11 upgrade if it loses many of its capabilities, no way to use generic Microsoft Update Assistant Tool, and no Windows 11 specific drivers, no way to turn back to original Windows 10 installation etc.?

( edited the title to add the model name )

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    edited August 2022

1) Can you check if the camera is showing as hidden device in device manager?

2) Another user in the Portuguese community asked this same question. I suggest you check these keys in regedit and change:

3) I also never received updates through acer care center. I don't know where the problem is. However, it is not something that affects me. I need to update bios and drivers manually.

4) Acer tested this model before putting it on the list. Most drivers that work on windows 10 also work on windows 11. But I agree that acer should make the drivers for windows 11 available on the support site. My model PH315-52 for example is also compatible with windows 11 and acer does not show the list of drivers for windows 11. It is possible to return to windows 10, see: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/downgrade-from-windows-11-to-windows-10/84a2416d-ccfb-4d87-9eee-e1056591e91f

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,621 Trailblazer

I have the same model and Windows Update handled the upgrade to W11 without issues. Acer Care Center (as we've reported to your before) only shows updated Acer has published to their support site that Windows Update hasn't already done. It's just for those who bypass the normal update process... On my system Acer Quick Access shows Bluelight Shield, Color Intelligence and Power Off USB Charging under Acer Signature Features and Network Sharing under Wireless Settings. My guess is Acer hasn't provided W11 specific drivers because none are needed...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • CapDom

Thanks anyway. But that means my hardware is screwed...

• CapDom

Thanks for your answer, but yes I can see my camera in Device Manager, also the LED from the camera area is on when I query the camera, but the monitoring is black...

I checked the connection in the display lid and everything looks fine, I just don't know where to check for continuity on the computer side.

It acts as if the data connections are broken (not the power to the camera), but what about the microphone array?

• What are the camera drivers shown here?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Behruoz
    Behruoz Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Hi. I can not upgrade my spin 5 to Windows 11 because the bios 1.10 on my system does not let booting by USB ( to install windows ) and also windows installation from inside Windows 10 also gives message" we couldn't update windows reserved partition". Can you please help me?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,621 Trailblazer

There is no problem booting from a USB, though you have to enable the boot menu in the BIOS before you can use it to choose the USB for booting. Typically you don't need that to upgrade form Windows 10 to Windows 11 though, you either just use Windows Update to do the update or run the Windows 11 installer from Windows 10. Only boot from a Windows 11 install flash drive if you really want to do a vanilla install that loses you all the default apps and your old data.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.